Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Photoshop Logo Questions (sorry if in wrong place)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

For stone, I use clouds, lighting effects, insert text, use text as a mask on the stone layer, then layer styles...in this case a layer for the chisel and a layer for the gold ring and drop shadow. The one thing that I will tell you is that when doing titles, work really large and then shrink it down. Most titling is done in 300 point fonts...use 100 or 72 dpi. For this one I used 300 dpi and a 100 point font. Oh and phong has some of the best tuts around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	The West.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	589.7 KB 
ID:	15748  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Wow! That is bloody impressive!

Yes I tend to work at 300dpi myself and try to have canvases of 1024x768 as a work base.

Without seeming too greedy, is there a chance of a tutorial in this type of thing?

I have to learn how to use layer masks and such, since those are still beyond me.

Pretty simple really.
    1. New layer filled with black, pattern overlay of Gouache at 200% scale, color overlay of dark red set to multiply, inner glow of black with a size of 250 and opacity of 50% set to multiply.
    2. New layer, Filter - Render - Clouds.
    3. Filter - Render - Lighting effects: use the default but set the Intensity to 17, Texture channel is red, White is high is checked and the height is maxed at 100. These settings are much open for experimentation for different stone effects.
    4. Insert text, used Abbadon at 100 pts.
    5. Ctrl+click on this text layer then click on the stone layer and click on "Add layer mask" at the bottom of the layer stack. Click back on the text layer.
    6. Set layer fill to zero, add a bevel/emboss, use default but set the gloss contour to something with 3 or more spikes, and set the highlight mode opacity to 20%. Add a Stroke, inside, size of 5 (or more if you want a bigger ring), gradient, shape burst, use a gradient that has some different tans in it.
    7. Duplicate this layer and clear layer styles. Set the layer's fill to zero. Inner bevel, chisel smooth, size of 20 (this will change depending on the font size), set the highlight to 50% opacity and shadow to 100% opacity. Add a drop shadow (mine is 16 distance and 16 size) and color overlay of your choice (I went with a dusty rose color...a grayish pink), set to color and 75% opacity.
    8. It took me longer to type this than it did for me to make
    Last edited by Ascension; 08-10-2009 at 05:45 PM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

What is a gouache pattern? I don't have it on mine and a web search has turned up nothing

Okay here's what I got... so I am doing something wrong.

The thing I know I had wrong was I have no contours with more than 2 spikes.

Help?

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	141.4 KB 
ID:	15751  

Whoops wrong attachement

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	15752  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Gauche is in the Artist Surfaces, you may have to load that pattern set.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Click on Edit, then Preset Manager, then Patterns, then Load and navigate to the folder Adobe/Photoshop/Presets/Patterns and you will find a whole bunch of patterns. Gouache Light on Watercolor is the name of the pattern but I'm not sure what pattern set it as a part of. Alternatively, you can use any grayscale pattern, not just the one that I used. You can also use a colored pattern but you will have to use a color overlay of white as well and set the blend mode of the white to Hue (this turns the colored pattern into grayscale) and then put the red on a new layer (set to multiply).

As far as the contour goes, that is also on the Preset Manager. I'm not sure which contours come with PS but I will tell you how to change them around:

1. Add a layer style of Bevel and Emboss (just for now).
    2. On that screen you will see the words "Gloss Contour" and next to that you will see a picture of a square with a diagonal line running through it, half is white and half is gray. Click on that to open the Contour Editor.
    3. PS uses contours to define a profile shape for beveling. If you wanted to do a hill then you draw in a profile of a hill. To change the shape of the contour, instead of drawing, click on the line somewhere and hold and drag to where you want it...you will see that line change shape. So for our purposes drag that to the top left somewhere. Click on the line again, hold and drag down and slightly to the right of the first point to make a valley. Keep doing this until you get something that you like. By default the line will be a bezier curve meaning that it is rounded. You will notice the word "Corner" with a checkbox next to it and if you click that then that one specific point will become pointed and not rounded. When you have made some mountains and valleys then be sure to save that contour.
    4. The way contours are applied to gloss on a bevel is that the high mountain peaks will be the highlight color, by default white. The valleys will then be the shadow color, by default black.
    5. You can use these contours to define the actual shape of the bevel profile as well and not just the gloss. On the layer styles window you will see the word Contour directly underneath the words Bevel and Emboss. If we were to use the mountains and valleys that we just created then the bevel profile will look like rings or really tall pond ripples. So that is why I always distinguish between contour and gloss contour.
    Last edited by Ascension; 08-10-2009 at 07:37 PM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Turns out the presets were not available. This situation has been rectified

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Say what? He doesn't have the presets in that folder? They're on the disk then aren't they? If not I'll just save out my preset patterns and upload them here. Will do the same for the contours too if he doesn't have those.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast