Thread: Unnamed World1 - WIP

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Unnamed World1 - WIP

No point in lieing about it, at the moment my world is still unnamed.
    This part revolves around a city with a unique situation, one of the few slopes on the shoreline. As this part is plagued by tall seaside cliffs, havenport, as the city is called, is a trading town.

Well, won't bother you with the story just yet (since there isn't anything to see yet =P ), but figured I'd post a WIP.
    I'm following RobA's fantastic tutorial: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1142
    Even someone with close to no artistic talent is able to follow it.
    This is about try #4 or #5, lost count. First one or two times it was gimp that spaced and didn't show the overlay, etc.
    In anycase, what I have:

http://www.frozenchaos.net/maps/havenport.jpg

Now I'm sure I didn't adhere to natural rules in regards to the island / mountains.
    The island would've made more sense if it were more to the right, so at the moment it is probably 'man made'. That said, nature is known for freaky stuff, so it might be natural aswell, take your pick.
    Mainly interested in comments regarding steps from the tutorial I might've missed or possibly did wrong. I really don't mind comments about 'nature would've done it that way' either, might aswell learn the thought process behind that aswell.
    So basically.. all comments welcome =)

PS: Making maps is sort of fun

Welcome to the boards, Imahilus. You aren't that far along with the map, so not much to say at this point. Commenting now would just impede your progress instead of helping you. Just keep plodding away and posting your work, and the experts around here (not me) will be able to provide some good info.

Some more work done...
    Didn't stick with the paths for roads as the tutorial suggested. I can't stand that tool... you can put down nodes, and some nodes you can move around, but some you can't move in relation to another node... it just isn't consistant from my perspective, so I just drew them by hand with the pencil and applied a slight blur.

And now I know why mapping is tricky, it is hard getting the infrastructure to look good.
    http://www.frozenchaos.net/maps/havenport2.jpg

Oh well, all comments welcome.

Good to see you posting a work and progess and asking for comments.
    The one thing I would to comment on is the rivers. Rivers don't tend to split as water takes the path of least resistance. Also it starts on higher ground, mostly in of near mountains. The rivers in the middle of the map sometimes defy these rules.
    The lake with three rivers entering and one exiting is great by the way. This can realistically happen.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's a good start...keep working at it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.