Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cruzamento De Rio (River Crossing)

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Map Cruzamento De Rio (River Crossing)

My first city map!

I have rather extensive notes on the rationale behind the town, the buildings, and the history of the town here if anyone is interested in more details.

To summarize, never having done a city map before I ended up putting thought into why there is a town at this particular point in the first place. I also went through and wrote out the basic history of the development of the town, to try and see what industries would develop over the years. I figured this would have a large impact on the design of the town, and explains a few things that might otherwise seem odd. Dwellings are easier to relocate than industries, so several of the major features of the town are in places they wouldn't be if the final version was designed all at once, and I placed industries before houses (actually I went through in 4 stages, but that's covered in the second post of the WIP thread). One example of this is the stockyard in the middle of town - but it was there long before the town was in place, and acts as a holding pen for the bridge crossing, barges, and so on, so it needed to be near the crossing point.

Other details came out while I was working on the layout - one of them being while I was working on the forests. Considering a major part of the history is bandit raids, I figured the first thing the new Knight would do is clear out any cover within longbow range (give or take 200 yards, from my research), so it may look rather sparse close in to the town

I had fun with the naming too, I borrowed a lot of Portuguese for this one, and there's a few surprises if anyone actually bothers to translate some of the phrases in there

Thanks to Ascension for the city tutorial, even if I was using a beta version of it.. if anything the lack of pictures helped me develop a more unique look than I might have otherwise ended up with. And thanks to Gandwarf who talked me into posting as a WIP instead of waiting until it was done, the feedback helped point out a few issues that I would have missed otherwise.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cityfinal.jpg 
Views:	1352 
Size:	2.76 MB 
ID:	15775  
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 08-11-2009 at 12:53 PM. Reason: re-upload

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

A very fine map indeed. I commented extensively in the WIP thread, so I don't know what to say anymore...

So what's your next project?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

blah! I have no idea.. i've been casting around for inspiration.

I have a few ideas.. but nowhere to start them. One was to redo Dannasis with an atlas-ish style. I was also working on and off with using wilbur to lay out my rivers for me on another mountainous continent (with decent results but then i didn't know what else to do witht he map). I've been seriously thinking of doing a battle campaign map - one that's been taken along on a siege, and lots of notes scribbled on and erased, attack routes, supply lines drawn in, etc.

So much inspiration, but I may take a break for a few hours until I start the next one (lol)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Member

I like the final look allot, and assure you I am scooping it up for my own campaign. I just need to think of a reason for the Portuguese. . .

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This came out quite nicely...

One question though...why did you decide to put the water flowing around the compass rose?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Man, you got some serious skills all over this. You should clean that up

Seriously, great job.
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

I played around with the effect at first, and no one seemed to object Easy enough to clean up and re-upload

My finished maps

Scorpius: if you need, I can edit the portuguese to english and upload a version of that for you. The name of the place will sound pretty mundane though - it's River Crossing

(and the street of "I'm Never Doing This Again" just won't have the same exotic feel, lol)

My finished maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    I played around with the effect at first, and no one seemed to object Easy enough to clean up and re-upload
    No need for that, I was just curious.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Too late

Besides, I was always iffy on it. It was a cute effect, but not really appropriate.

I do think it's better this way.

My finished maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast