Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Capital

After rereading some of the background I have for this nation I'm not sure the total lockdown idea is the way to go. During peacetime they have a standing army of around 20% but when war comes it raises to around 60%. Almost every able bodied man and woman is included in the war effort somehow and as such are technically part of the army/navy. They wouldn't need papers to move through the barracks. It's just not ideal on a practical front to have people moving back and forth through what is the capitals garrisons living and training space.

The market/crafting section will still be closed off though to prevent foreigners getting through uninvited.

The wooden palisades around the outer sections are multipurpose in that they divide the city up into sections but they are also defensible during a siege rather than for use to control the populous.

Right I've decided that every day that I do something on the map I'll post up a pick.

Today's efforts have been the product of my lunch break at work. Not much more has happened on the map but I've blocked in the stone walls and a very rough keep and gatehouse. I'm not happy with the look of the stone as it seems too clean and light but as I say it's not the final product. The keep looks nothing like how I imagine it ending up but it's something to go on with.

Hopefully tonight I'll get some time and I can block off the inner sections and get dummy buildings down to see how things fit together. Once that's done I'll maybe see about getting the military harbour started as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capital copy.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	830.8 KB 
ID:	15850  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I love the way this is shaping up, it's looking very promising.

(and not just because the walls look so familiar, heh)

Moving the main cross street outside of the barracks was probably a good idea, your logic is sound

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Hey it's a quick and easy way to get the walls done

The reading of the tutorial, working out that I'd left my travel mouse at home, getting my laptop set up on my busy desk, fiddling with my trackpad to get the walls etc drawn all whilst eating my black bean chilli wrap took a grand total of 30 minutes.

God help me when I get my WoW account back. I'll never get this finished at this rate!

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Could have been worse.. your travel mouse could have been travelling withoout you instead of being at home

Sounds like you had a hectic lunch I started off working with the touchpad on my laptop with phoitoshop, but wasn't long before I swapped back to the mouse. I can work ok, but I definitely need both hands, I can't imagine trying to eat while drawing on the touchpad

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

'Freehand' drawing is completely out. Thats why I was working on the walls as although time consuming it's easy enough to mess about with paths for as long as is needed before stroking them.

One handed trackpad use is easy. Just gets a little complicated when I'm trying to quickly load a selection from another layer or anything that requires a keyboard shortcut as well as mouse movements.

This is going to be an impressive map if you find the resolve to finish it. Lots of empty space to fill
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Not much change from the last one but I did promise a new post whenever I get something done on the map

I've sectioned off the areas within the stone walls/battlements and started fleshing out the religious area. I should point out that the people's religious beliefs are based around the druidic system and so the area only has one building and all the various alters and worship areas are within the wooded area. The building itself is only used for accommodation of the druids in residence at the capital.

I forgot to tidy up around the wooded area though and drop it below the wall layer. Easy enough to fix though. Not happy with how dark the woods are either but something to work on and the house will be worked on as I'm not entirely sure how I want the roof to look at the moment. As before it's all about the scale and placement of things at the moment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capital copy.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	821.7 KB 
ID:	15911  

Guild Member

Oooo. Heavy military community with druidic practices, neat.

After two years I'm finally getting a chance to get back into this!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast