Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Westeros - a fan project

Hi Tear

I've spent quite a lot of time over the last few months working on a speculative world map for A Song of Ice and Fire to be used in my Animated Timeline Map project. This new map incorporates and builds on your map of Westeros to include Essos, Ibben and the Summer Isles in a similar style. I know you've given permission for your map to be used in any non-commercial fan project but this builds on your work in a very substantial way and given your recent good news (congratulations btw) I wanted to run things past you to make sure things have not changed before releasing this onto the Internet.

I have included a scroll with licence details in the bottom left corner of the map which clearly indicates George as the copyright holder and attributes the original map of Westeros to yourself with the URL for this thread on the Cartographer's Guild website for reference. It is my intention to release this speculative world map under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License which means other fans are free to share and remix the work provided it is non-commercial, they attribute their work to its original creators (namely yourself and I with GRRM as copyright holder) and their work is released under same or similar licence.

I am also planning to create a website interface for the map which will allow people to hide the labels, city/town markers and various other details, and there will be various different versions of the image available for download since I know a lot of people want that sort of thing for their own gaming purposes.

Please get in touch with me via email on themountaingoat AT live DOT co DOT uk and I will send a copy of the map. If nothing else I'd like to hear your thoughts on the finished map. I know a lot of people have asked if you were going to do a map of Essos, not sure if you were going to but I hope this won't spoil any plans you may have had in that regard.

I appreciate you may not check this thread that often so I may need to try and PM you instead in the near future which means posting a few more times on this forum so apologies to anyone here if I spam up a few threads.

Beautiful map Tear.

What can I say that hasn't already been said? This map is Capital-A Awesome.

WOW. Amazing! So much better than anything I've ever seen - far better than the ones in the books. I can't imagine the work that went into this...so much detail. Just an incredible creation.

Wow!!!! That's incredible. Great job.

it's amazing !!! 

Inspired, what can I say that hasn't already been said. Your mountains are magnificent.

Hi, does anyone know where a high res version of the map can be found (or has it and can email it to me)? Awesome job!

Professional Artist Guild Supporter Schley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jcr592 View Post
    Hi, does anyone know where a high res version of the map can be found (or has it and can email it to me)? Awesome job!
    Have you tried contacting the artist directly? Since it's Tear's work, he would be the one to request/purchase a hi-res copy from.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast