Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Dawn of the West: Redesign Part 2

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Post New Dawn of the West: Redesign Part 2

Hey.

Coyotemax and I are talking in private about this, but I feel maybe reaching out to everyone will help.

As some of you know I have plans to publish a PDF setting for my campaign world. Not to make money, there is next to no cash in "fantasy heartbreakers" but just to get it done. If I can make enough for a pint along the way, all the better.

Here's the problem, which I noted in the redesign thread. The base for my map was the Warhammer Old World map from Warhammer Fantasy.

As I have been showing off Coyotemax's amazing work to everyone on the rp forms I frequent, it was inevitable that some one piped up with "Nice redesign of the Warhammer maps".

I had sort of hoped it was different enough that no one would notice, but I was wrong.

Now if I hope to publish someday I can't have it looking like a Games Workshop copyright/intellectual property.

I am too close too it. Every redesign of the coast line winds up looking mostly the same. CM is trying something, but I figure why not open it to all the talented folks here.

I NEED a new coastline for the West.

I will look at any suggestions. Any ideas.

Consider everything that came before gone, or look to it for inspiration.

All I seek is you help.

Thank you in advance.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Well, I played around abit with the global aspects of thing, keeping in mind you were originally going with an alternate earth basis.

Ran a couple dozen filters, messed things around, pasted in actual island outlines, and crystallized the heck out of it

It's recognizeable if you look for it, but is it sufficiently different or odd?

I'm not going to work on a giant sized version till we get get something going here.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	15805  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Turn it upside down and you can't recognize it at all
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Turn it upside down he says

CM, that might work but the whole Europe thing goes out the window and here's why.

The Warhammer map is also based on Europe, so if we are, then we are going to repeat and repeat.

Here's what I am working on as hard facts.

1] The area of the West is isolated from the eastern part of the continent by a large mountain chain. Alps/Himlayas. That is crucial to the story.

2] A large mountain range separates the southern part from the northern part of the land so that the Duchy of Adaire can thrive.

3] The old empire was smashed by a star crashing into it.

4] Solani was laid to waste by fire from the heavens for 40 days and nights.

5] Between Elise and Pendria is a area of fertile plain. A large river runs through it connecting it to the sea and at the mouth of that river on an island sits Kestle, which in turn sits on Tengle bay.

6] To the north of the north, across a wintery sea, are the viking lands and to their west, northwest from Pendria is Zealund.

7] The tip of the Azusan continent can be seen in the lower southwestern part of the map as that was mine mine mine

Everything else is open to modification. Everything. This is no longer a fantasy version of Europe.

Does that help?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I meant turn the black and white one upside down, but no matter.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I meant turn the black and white one upside down, but no matter.
    Ah I see what you mean now... my bad.

The more I stress over this, unless CM or I have a breakthrough I will just shelve my publishing ideas and do it for free instead.

This world is alive now, CM's maps really did that. They are bloody powerful and really strike a chord in those who see them.

I can always write something else

Actually, giving out a description like that might be the best thing to do. Decide on the few factors that are absolutely fixed (things in relation to what, why certain areas need certain climates) and how many non-fixed things to work in - and maybe some relative sizes, and then just run with it.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

You think people will take a stab at it?

Dunno. But I am

My finished maps

That having been said, if anyone feels inspired and wants to jump in, please do..

My finished maps

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast