Thread: first map kind of finished, be kind and tell me how to improve.

Post first map kind of finished, be kind and tell me how to improve.

howdy peeps, this is my 2nd attempt at a map, the first one nearly made my heart stop beating from shear ugliness.

let me know what you think, if I can get it to show that is.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Valderin's Gate.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	2.65 MB 
ID:	15917  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

It's an interesting start.

Though difficult to really comment on until I see a little bit more.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

That's kind of neat. I really like the dark atmosphere. Some of the roads are a bit more clumped than I would expect to see in a city of this apparent scale, but it's a similar style to a few other maps I've seen. The primary roads have a good look to them. I might suggest setting aside some spots for landmark-style buildings though (temples, guildhalls, etc)

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

as you can see there is like a blank spot without houses going up like a spearpoint near the mid part of the map, its supposed to be cliffs, with the castle being on top, desined so its near impossible to get there.

the city in general have been built on the spot because its easy to defend, three mountains are working as walls. and on the backside the sea, along with being one of the center points compared to the other cities of the world make it the perfect trading city.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Nice colors. If those are mountains then I'd like to see them more defined cuz right now they look like big hills...I'd just put a trebuchet up there and smash the city. I'd also like to see some roofs on those red buildings cuz right now it just looks like a flat pattern fill. You have a very striking style, colorwise, and that's a very good thing. Some refinement and some detail and this will rock.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

yeah but thats where the problem comes in, ive got zevo idea how to make it look more like mountains and again same for roofs. im still having a hard time finding out how most things work in photoshop in general, been hunting down guides and such but guese its not something that comes overnight, just need to keep working on it. thou I think it was a good idea that I decided to go with a city instead of the fulscale continent as a starting point as that would have been have been too much.

but if anyone got some fancy ideas on how I might be able to improve things or think they know a techinque that they think I might like feel free to let me know im all ears.

Have you seen Pyrandon's city tutorials in our tutorials board? One is called Eneini, I think. I don't recall the other. They're quite popular for city building in Photoshop. Aidybaby posted a nice one in there, too, but I think your map already looks quite like Pyrandon's, so that's where I would start.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name