Thread: The Free City of Eventhar

Guild Journeyer

Wip The Free City of Eventhar

Not too long ago, I realized that I haven't had the time or the patience to map any city or town in my campaign setting. Although I really feel that city maps give a sense of adventure to the players and makes them want to explore every corner of the city, until today I have not made a single map.

So, I decided for my next adventure which will be city-based (at least in the beginning) to create such a map. I have decided to map a large city near a lake with a big port, a marketplace, etc. Your typical trading and merchant city.

I am not good at this, I really do believe it, but I am giving it a try.

The attachment is a very early stage WIP just to see what you guys think. Never mind the water or the land terrain. These can be adjusted easily. I am very curious to see what you think of the "city-blocks" I have made so far.

Thank you for your time guys!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eventhar.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	339.4 KB 
ID:	15808  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think it's a good start, but based on your scale some of those buildings seem really big. You may want to divide up the buildings more or adjust your scale to better fit.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

They seem like buildings after all? My plan was to create blocks. Each white shape is a block of buildings. I suppose it's not represented well. Maybe I will change it to solid white with small alleys and roads cut in it.

OK, then I misunderstood. I thought they were individual buildings, ignore my comment about the scale then.

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Journeyer

I was considering an alternative like the one in the attachment below. What do you think?

Name:	eventhar_comp.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	341.8 KB 
ID:	15809  

I think now that I understand where you're going I prefer the first version.

But wait to see if others offer up their own opinions.

I....prefer the first.....but only because I thought they were individual buildings.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Guild Journeyer

Ok, I've started from scratch keeping just the terrain. I've used a new technique which I thinks gives the "block" effect better and is far more quicker. I've also redesigned the city entrance. More on that later...

So, tell me what you think! Thanks again for your time!

Name:	eventhar2.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	338.6 KB 
ID:	15851  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

It looks like it's going to be a very interesting city to explore when it's done.

Nice going so far, I think.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I liked the first version of the map better though. These don't look like city blocks to me, sorry. In the first version you had city blocks/individual buildings. It looked far more realistic. You have to take your time with city maps, I think. There's no rushing them.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...