Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cruzamento De Rio 50 years later (WIP)

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Post Cruzamento De Rio 50 years later (WIP)

No sooner do I tell myself I'm never touching this map again and never going to do another city map than I got inspired by the challenge idea presented in that section.

No, I'm not planning on entering this for that, I would come up with something completely new But I was already thinking of doing something like this based on the way I built it up over generations. Initially I was going to do a map for each stage leading up to this, but I tried the city wall tutorial by kittrellb (and by extension, Ascension since he inspired that one) on this map, and that kind of decided it for me.

Oh yes, there is a lot of work to be done, not the least of which is the shadows on the towers (still trying to find a quick easy way for that, but I may just have to do the shadows as a last step once I'm happy with the placements of everything). I like the new cobblestone roads and market squares though. I figure at this point, the city has been not so much torn down, but the lord of the land has taken the opportunity while building the new walls to move a few things around. I took out all the houses completely, minus the full out stone-built, and will redesign them. The bulk of the roads however, will stay.

The working notes should show the direction I'm going with most of it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	city250yrs copy.jpg 
Views:	142 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	15849  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

You got to be kidding me
    Nice idea though, can't wait to see the next WIP.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Hahaha looking forward to this

Ok, I finally tracked down one of the pictures that inspired me for the bridge mill. I've adjusted mine to include the proper abutments.

The other inspiration was from Timeline by Michael Crichton - I've always remembered the fortified mill bridge from the book, and i finally found my copy for reference

Anyhow, I've been working this over on and off for the last day or two while waiting for my full out burst of creativity to work on AslanC's map, and I'm almost ready to start placing buildings. I just want to work on the thatched roofs a bit more to get them looking more like thatch, and the chimneys are still giving me nightmares - I think I will always hate the way they look at this scale. I've done them according to the tutorial, I've done my own modifications, I've looked over the ones other people have done, and I decided I still hate them, though they are a necessary evil

I'll definitely be adding them to the buildings before I place everything this time, save the work of going through and adding them individually by hand later on.

And it's confirmed, I'll need to manually add shadows when I'm done everything. I've done a few changes to the large structures already, and it's possible I'll adjust more things, so leave that step to last to minimize the adjustments.

Views:	114 
Size:	1.97 MB 
ID:	15878   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pont1850.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	15879  

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

That is incredible... enough so to deserve a bonk from the rep hammer. *bonk*
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Incredible indeed. Nice work so far!

Anyway, the northern gatehouse is sticking out from the walls and I think that's a bad design choice for a fortification. If attackers come with a ram you can only shoot at them from the gatehouse, not from the surrounding walls as the gatehouse blocks the line of fire. It would be better if the gatehouse wasn't sticking out so much. It will create a killing ground.

The southern gate (near the castle) does have a good design. Only the towers are sticking out, giving defenders the ability to fire down on a ram, even when it's pounding the gate. And when the ram is approaching it can be fired upon from all the surrounding walls.
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 08-14-2009 at 04:30 AM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Good point, and I'm a bit annoyed because typically those are the first thought I have on such matters

I think I've been so distracted by the city design, I lost track of the military aspects this time around.. I've already made a few adjustments, I'll certainly be looking to redesign the defenses

My finished maps

I think this should take care of any invaders from the north, especially when we mount the logs on the battlements

Farms are done! (and bloody heck, forgot the chimneys, i think I automatically edit them out in my mind..)

Views:	131 
Size:	1.99 MB 
ID:	15910  

My finished maps

Much better

Guild Member

Things are looking very nice. Love the Mickey Mouse towers.

Forgive me that I haven't familiarized myself with the tutorial you're using but are you using any patterns or coloring most things by hand?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast