Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dyson's Old School Maps & Experiments

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Oh I didn't check everything all the time. But if something was really being used a lot in an area, I'd run occasional checks

Plus it set up things like "What do you mean the rope gave way, we checked it" "Yes, it was fine. On closer inspection you see it was cut.." "Uh oh.."
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 08-14-2009 at 01:34 AM.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Love those side-view maps! Very nice maps. Love the whole style of them. +1!
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Dyson Logos View Post
    As with the other maps posted here, it was drawn with a black gel-pen on plain white paper, scanned, contrast-enhanced and posted. This is the first and last map I'll ever shade in this style. I thought my cross-hatching took a long time to do...
    Definitely the advantage of computer work. A simple outer glow or blur, convert to monochrome using a dither and bingo!

Nice work though! I like to see profile maps.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by Turgenev View Post
    Love those side-view maps! Very nice maps. Love the whole style of them. +1!
    Then hopefully today's post will please.

Crossposted from my blog

This is the first time I’ve done a full dungeon using only a side-view map. I love side-view maps partially because they remind me of the old days of D&D – you don’t see a lot of these maps in modern modules. However, normally you take the side view map and use it to illustrate how the top view maps link together. In this case, I didn’t even bother with a standard top view at all. Everything you need is nicely shown on the side view.

Dyson's Dodecahedron
    an RPG blog, with a few maps

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Wonderful!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Very nice! It makes me want to try my own hand at it.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx

Guild Novice

I like the line textures you use for shading. It reminds me of an old Runequest map for "Snakepipe Hallow" that was very twisty and had a lot of cutaways and side-view details for complex intersections. The ink-work on it is very similar in style to yours.

RobA - that's a pretty sweet hatching effect. Almost makes me consider doing this by computer instead of by hand.

- - -

This week we have Fort Tenras, an abandoned fort I used for a side-quest in a recent game.

More details are on my blog.

Dyson's Dodecahedron

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

The latest is up at my blog - a set of secret tunnels and old passages and basements attached to the sewers. This is actually my re-imagining of the layout and environment of a game I played in. More details are available of course at my blog.

Dyson's Dodecahedron

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast