Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dyson's Old School Maps & Experiments

Post Dyson's Old School Maps & Experiments

Instead of scattering my various old-school maps around this forum, I'll compile them into this thread as I go. Since I work in pen and paper, by the time I scan a piece it is a finished product - there's not much I can do to change it besides start over again - thus why I am posting them here.

A few of the older threads are here:

Dyson's Dodecahedron
    an RPG blog, with a few maps

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

This week's map (to be released on my blog tomorrow) is a side-view of the mega-dungeon I ran when I first started running 3e when it was released.

Powell's Folly is a dwarven citadel and a deep series of catacombs on the face of a crater wall. Within the crater is "The Desert of the Gods" and the lookout watch on the main tower of Powell's Folly is the only civilized place from which you can see the plateau of temples and tombs in that desert.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	map-powells-folly-sideview-smaller.jpg 
Views:	622 
Size:	111.8 KB 
ID:	15873  
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Pretty much all my maps are drawn by hand - ink on paper - and then scanned and contrast-enhanced

Last week's map was a fully stocked mini-dungeon. The full version with encounters and everything is available here.

Name:	map-the-hall-of-challenges-keyed-smaller.jpg 
Views:	390 
Size:	166.8 KB 
ID:	15874  
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Nice work! I do especially love the side view for the dwarven city, I don't see many of those. I always liked to incorporate 3d elements back when I was gm'ing, instead of flat planes for each level

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I love side-view maps.

Hang on, I'll grab my fave.

This is the end result of a game of "How to Host a Dungeon" - a solo dungeon-design and lifecycle game by Tony Dowler. It is a game made of awesome and win.

As with the other maps posted here, it was drawn with a black gel-pen on plain white paper, scanned, contrast-enhanced and posted. This is the first and last map I'll ever shade in this style. I thought my cross-hatching took a long time to do... I spent a few evenings watching TV with my girlfriend working on the shading on this map. Never again.

Name:	hthad-map1.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	15875  
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Yow, that's great. I see what you mean about the shading. To be honest, I think this style looks a bit better, but I can totally understand not wanting to do it by hand

My first thought with this one was when the party first starts out.. "do we have enough rope for this?" "Oh yeah, we have 3 100' coils, we'll be fine.." .. I dunno about everyone else, but my players learned to bring along twice what they thought they would need, there's a lot more sharp edges in underground caverns than one might think (after having talked with actual cavers.. and hemp/jute ropes will fray a lot faster than nylon will)

Now I'm starting to consider trying to hook up with a local gaming group...

Though i'm starting to get inspired to do a 3d/orthographic view for an underground dungeon.. now look what you've done!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

Dear God man! That's brilliant! I never once thought to fray my players ropes on them!

Oh and for what it is worth Dyson, the shading may have taken forever, but the end result is magnificent!

AslanC: Let's just say the survivors learned to check their ropes before and after every climb

My finished maps

I don't bother with wear and tear in game because then it becomes a whole sub-game that ends up being no fun...

"Alright, I check to make sure the horse's shoes are all ok before we head out"
    "Better make sure there are no leaks in our waterskins" "
    "Argh, the right strap on my backpack is worn out, have to replace it"
    "Is there a cobbler in town? The heel on my boot is worn out and that'll cause blisters which will reduce my movement rate and then the dwarf will make fun of me"

etc.

Pulling wear-and-tear on players when you haven't required that level of detail and attention in the past is dirty pool, IMO. And after level 1, I assume that D&D characters who spelunk are at least somewhat skilled spelunkers who know what to check for in their gear.
    Dyson's Dodecahedron

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected AslanC's Avatar

There is a game for that... it's called Harn!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast