View Poll Results: Would you be interested in a challenge where you do a map together with someone else?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

20 74.07%
  • No

7 25.93%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Doing a map together

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

In order to keep everyone working equally hard and allowing for personal lives/time away there might have to be benchmarks. Say the CL does the layout for a continent/region/town/dungeon/space ship/galaxy/etc, the others do various elements like Murderface does the mountains, Pickles does the forests, Skwisgaar does the labels, Nathan does the rivers, Toki does the scale and compass, etc. Finally, a CL does the touch up and finish work and also provides guidance/direction/help all along the way. This way everyone gets the work in but it doesn't take that one person all month to do all of the various things...they just work a few days and pass it on.

If you think about it -- the CL, as team leader, gets to work sort of like a client and team members get to practice commission-like work while jumping through hoops and meeting deadlines. Then the CL comes back in at the end and cleans everything up.

Just a thought and I think too much
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Member

Sounds like it could work. But I think we'd need a list beforehand as to who can do what in which software/style. Otherwise people with the same skills might wind up working together and can't complete the job.

My biggest concern would be software compatibility (as was previously mentioned). Even if people are using the same basic software, they might not be using the same versions which, in turn, might cause a bit of havoc when trying to pass the map around for others in the group to work on. I, for instance, use an older version of Paintshop Pro and/or GIMP. If my partners are all using Photoshop or Inkscape (or anything along those lines) and need to pass the file on to me (layers included) there's no way I would be able to work on it other than looking at the composited image, creating my edits as a second version and then passing it back to someone who could use both files and merge them properly.

Still, I think it is a great idea and would definitely be a good thing to participate in as, hopefully, everyone involved in the various groups would learn something from their fellows (or fellowettes as the case may be). I haven't voted yet, though, as I'll have to think on this one as far as it being a challenge sort of thing. It might do better to be in something similar to the CWBP as opposed to being a challenge.

Just my two and a half cents worth . . .

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Blog Entries

We have had technically restricting contests in the past. I mean you would have to split along vector apps / raster apps or CC3 type custom apps and then pick a format like SVG, PNG or CC3. Ok so layers are out but I dont think thats a biggie. Someone could do a bit of the map in layers, freeze them and export a big PNG for the rest to pick up and continue (poss using more layers to be frozen etc). What if you were commissioned to produce a console game and they had strict requirements for the map ? Those sorts of restrictions are part of the game when working for someone.

I think the map content should be very open tho - like you can do a regional, battle map, or just about anything as long as it was done with at least 3 people or something like that.

I use PSP and it has PNG support, my apps can import and export PNGs, all Gimpers and PSers are ok with that. In fact the only people stuffed in raster land are probably the MSPaint die hards. And heck, maybe part of the fun is having to use a new bit of software for this map...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the challenge of dealing with various programs, I would consider that to be a requirement...instead of putting all the CC3ers together. I'd like to have a SketchUPer, and Inkscaper on my team for instance.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

There's also an option to have a shared base layer (showing the basic layout of the land and such, I suppose), and each participant supplies a transparent png (or other image format with transparency - could even be postscript I reckon) with his/her area filled in. The images can then be merged into one map every now and then as collab WIP's and the different parts can be discussed either from the merged image or from the single transparency overlayed on the base image.

I think I'd enjoy doing something like this, though I'd probably end up doing more supporting development work (as with the Context Free script I made for Ravells) - I do hope I'd count for a team member even if I hadn't actually drawn a pixel on the final map.

Also, does it really matter how much each person has participated? I reckon if one person made the whole thing, they'd be rather miffed at the ones that didn't help, and so would want to, say, make note of that on their entry?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123