Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cut Away Spaceship

Guild Journeyer

I'd like to point out (since some comments in the thread have indicated I may not have been clear enough), I am not the creator of the image, I just posted it here since it seemed appropriate to the guild's topic. I can barely draw a line art dungeon using MS Paint, I'm nowhere near this guy's skill in illustration. The creator's profile is linked in the original post.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Quote Originally Posted by Valarian View Post
    I like his stuff too, great pictures though originality isn't necessarily one of his things. The designs of some of the starships are just a little too recognisable.

Remora = Icarus (Babylon 5)
    Exeter = Firefly (Firefly)
    Wayfarer = Klingon Bird of Prey (Star Trek)
    Venture = Millennium Falcon / YT-1300 (Star Wars)
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredgear7 View Post
    I suppose there are only so many ways to design a starship intended to be used by humans.

Partisan = Colonial One (new Battlestar Galactica)
    Morgan = Raptor (same)

Textured 3d models always look so good when they're done this way; His work has a definite style to it.
    All true! But then Wolfe created illustrations published by both the Serenity RPG and Battlestar Gallactica RPG lines, designing new ships to fit into each setting. These similar ones may have been proposed illustrations for those books that Magerite Weis Games opted not to use. Or he may simply have been influenced by them to produce something similar. God knows I look at some the work here on this website and want to rush out and do something similar!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Something about that image makes me want to dig out my copy of XCOM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plastic_Jack View Post
    Ah, yes, that's what it reminded me of!
    Please let there be another X-com
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I agree, as long as it's more like the first earliest one than the latter.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That's the one. XCOM : UFO Defense. Second one wasn't bad, but the third hath been stricken from my memory.

Much like the Matrix. Awesome movie. Shame they didn't make any sequels.

That's the one. XCOM : UFO Defense. Second one wasn't bad, but the third hath been stricken from my memory.
    I liked all three X-com games and the last one was even my favorite. There was a lot more interaction possible and choices seemed to have effect on the world. A sequel would be so cool!

/threadjack
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Journeyer

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    I liked all three X-com games and the last one was even my favorite. There was a lot more interaction possible and choices seemed to have effect on the world. A sequel would be so cool!
    /threadjack
    You can purchase all the X-Com games on Steam at the moment. Pretty reasonably priced. I have X-Com (original) on Diskette but they have long since degraded. So I re-purchased X-Com from Steam for $5. (You can get all of them for $15 but I really only love the first one.) The older DOS ones come with a configured copy of DOSBox to run them on and it works pretty much flawlessly on my machine. (Just needed to adjust the resolution and image rendering type so that it looked good on my large wide screen monitor and needed to jack up the slowing that DOSBox does so that the game runs at pretty much the same speed it used to run back when I first played it.)

http://store.steampowered.com/sub/964/

It seems that 2K Games has purchased the License for X-Com and are releasing the games on Steam in an effort to defray the costs of the brand new X-Com game they are currently working on. From the rumors it looks like they are going for a replication of the original, but who knows how it'll turn out.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

My favorite weapon is the business end of a fusion powered hydrogen rocket. A jet of ionized gas at ten million degrees C shot out with enough oomph to cut a small asteroid in half.

This is known as Hard (core) Science Fiction.

Seriously, I really like the ship. Puting a cutaway in the hanger like that ala Incredible Cross-Sections was is really cool way to package your ship.
    In space...no one can hear you whine...
    Help me make more maps!

And that was how we managed not to become meat animals in the first Man-Kzin war!
    M

Edit: Oh, wait, wuzzat fiction?
    Last edited by mearrin69; 10-23-2010 at 11:07 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast