Thread: Newb GIMP questions...

Post Newb GIMP questions...

I see many posts about scripts and whatnot, is there must have scripts? Also is there a site with plugins and whatnot that I should go to? At the moment I just have the 64 bit version of GIMP straight from that website loaded on my computer. I downloaded it to make some simple items for MapTools D&D 4E maps and then found this place from one of torstan's links on the rptools forums.

http://registry.gimp.org/ has most of the plug-ins/scripts written for gimp on it. A lot of the good ones for mapping are cross posted here... simply browse...

So far, filimage noise and the layer effects scripts have made it on to my machine... I find them very useful.
    My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Thank you, that is what I was asking for pretty much.

I'll second notsonoble. Felimage noise and layer effects are must haves.

Take a look at my sig, which has a number of useful mapping ones posted here. It depends if you do dungeon maps, or regional maps, too, as there are a few dungeon specific ones.

-Rob A>

Hi Rob, another Newb question here, how does one install the felimage plug-in anyway? I have Gimp version 2.6 and Microsoft XP. After downloading the "felimage-noise-win-bin-0.1.1.zip and unzipping the file, I placed the file in: (c Program Files > Gimp 2.0 > Share > plug-ins. I then closed and re-started gimp. However, after checking under: Filters > Render, I found no trace of Felimage. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Would you mind enlightening me? Thanks a bunch.

Try putting it in your personal folder instead:

c:\Documents and Settings\<user>\.gimp-2.6\plug-ins\

And check that this is pointed to under Edit->Preferences...down to Folders

-Rob A>

Yes! Worked like a charm. Rob your my new hero, thanks for taking the time to help out a struggling technologically challenged beginner (Not quite sure how the "rep" system works yet, but whatever the case I think you deserve some).

Cheers,

-Arshesh
    Last edited by arsheesh; 01-11-2010 at 09:28 PM.

Community Leader Guild Sponsor Korash's Avatar

THAT is an easy question to answer...

If you look at the avatar of the poster and look below that you will find a balance icon. That is the rep button. Click that and you are on your way.
    Art Critic = Someone with the Eye of an Artist, Words of a Bard, and the Talent of a Rock.

Please take my critiques as someone who Wishes he had the Talent