Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Realm Of Darkmourn

Quote Originally Posted by Datagoblin View Post
    Hmmm, where have I heard that term before...Greeblies

Here is the pic/icon:
    Very nice :-)
    It was never a request for a volcano when I did the style, and I never thought of it. But I think you volcano looks great.

OK, read the thread. Pretty good. Shrinking the textures was covered.

As to making the map more 'rough' when you zoom in, yes, you are kind of limited to redrawing as you get 'closer' but that is a GOOD THING. There may be smaller woods and rivers and lake etc.

As I have said before, when you look at a Map of North America and then compare that map to a map of just Canada, and then at a map of Just Nova Scotia the levels of detail grow as smaller inlets, islands etc become visible.

As to how to make symbols. Go to the following link:

http://www.profantasy.com/service/entrance.asp

After entering your login info (you should do this when registering), I believe the Complete CC3 User Manual download (40 MEGS) has a section on making your own symbols. It is quite easy.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Wip Darkmourn II.2

Ok time for an update...

Added some forests and mountains and rivers (do I hear sirens?) as well as some hills. Its not all there yet, just taking a slight pause for station identification.

Its been fun bringing this world to life...More to come & thanks again for looking!

Added some forests and mountains and rivers (do I hear sirens?)
    Most certainly. Your rivers don't follow the real life rules. Rivers tend to start in the mountains and end up in the sea. They rarely split, as water takes the path of least resistance.

But this is your map of course.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The river violation is the one that starts and ends in the same ocean with a split in the middle. Cut them apart in the middle there and it's good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Agreed. Your river would quick fill up with silt from tributaries around the places where the current in either direction equaled out, and then you'd have two rivers. Rivers are not static things. They are constantly moving dirt around, even when they're stable. When the velocity of the water changes abruptly, or the temperature, or the chemical composition, the water tends to dump the suspended particles. Worlds are born from mountain and rock, but they are shaped by precipitation and sediment.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

*Sirens Wailing*

There are several 'violations' regarding the rivers, though most are fairly minor.

1. A lot of the rivers in the appear to start in the middle of forests or plains, might be better if they started from the mountains.
    2. It appears that one starts in a swamp and flows toward the sea/ocean, not sure that this is possible as swamps are generally lower elevation then the land around them.
    3. Ascension covered the one that splits and merges

*Hands Datagoblin his citation*
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Wow the po-po are surrounding the house! Need to book out to HoJo's and hide out for a week...Upload the new(er) map with the updated terrain in that area...mos'tik.

Do I at least get a phone call?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Do I at least get a phone call?
    Well we didn't haul you in for questioning...yet! So no need for a phone call
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    * A lot of the rivers in the appear to start in the middle of forests or plains, might be better if they started from the mountains.
    This shouldn't actually be a violation.
    a) Forests and plains are perfectly capable of being somewhat elevated, with perhaps a smaller slope.
    a2)Afterthought here. I know of at least one river that originates in near-desert on the east side of the Cascades. The artesian spring that feeds that river originates from water that went under an aquiclude somewhere in the rainy west side of the Cascade mountains and only sprayed out when ground level went below the water-resistant stratum.
    b) While mountain ridges can denote the divides between drainage basins, it is possible that water flow only concentrated enough to be considered a true river farther down the basin.
    b2)Depending on the scale, it could be that only very major rivers with a great deal of accumulated flow are being represented.

* It appears that one starts in a swamp and flows toward the sea/ocean, not sure that this is possible as swamps are generally lower elevation then the land around them.
    Actually there are a lot of swamps, marshes and bogs at high elevation, even in the mountains. Obviously no tidal estuaries or anything, but basically anywhere that drainage is less effective than the inflow of water can be a swamp. This can be flat areas, remnants of old lakes filled in with sediment or possibly springs that come up through mucky sediment to a fairly low-gradient surface. Eventually enough water builds up in the swampy area to feed a new river. Also rivers frequently have swampy along their flood plains. This isn't seen so much anymore, but that is an anthropogenic influence.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast