Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Realm Of Darkmourn

Wip Realm Of Darkmourn

Hello all,

Here is a map I am working on using CC3. This is an overview of the major continents and I have started to add in some terrain features as well. I really enjoy lands with a lot of greeblies.

The only thing that frustrates me is when you zoom in, it tends to be more angular as opposed to rough. I dont know how to fix that other than redraw parts of the map up close, in more detail.

Anyway, here it is for you to look at, constructive criticism is most welcome as well as any tips or techniques that you know of that might work.

http://i816.photobucket.com/albums/z...fDarkmourn.png
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RealmOfDarkmourn.png 
Views:	205 
Size:	789.1 KB 
ID:	16073  
    Last edited by NeonKnight; 08-20-2009 at 11:40 AM.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I love the layout of the continents and the soft colors. The only thing that looks kind of jarring to me is the very dark color used on the mountains. If you were to lighten up their color(s) a bit, it might balance out better. Or, if the rest of your natural features and text are going to be 'brighter' like the mountains, it would probably do the same job.

Those mountains are Clercon's style I think... his style was converted to CC3 by Ralf of Profantasy. I like Clercon's Etrakien map and this map is great as well. The mountains certainly don't bother me. Good job so far Datagoblin and welcome to the guild!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Nice layout of the map. I'd try to shrink the texture of the forests,they look a bit big at the moment. Otherwis a great start.
    And yes the mountains are from the style I did for CC3 togheter with ralf.

To all,

Thanks for the kind words, glad to be a member here with such nice people. I really like the look of this set, it has a lot of potential and somehow reminds me of maps from Tolkien books. I will post more as it gets done.

Clercon,

Thanks for designing this set, its what sold me on that whole edition. I wasnt aware that you could shrink the texture...I am not an expert by any means of CC3...Can you share some insight on how this is done? Would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome datagoblin! I did a similar map using that style. I love the look & feel of it, and have used that style as my base. I added a transparency of 50%, which makes the vegetation seem to blend in more , same with the desert. Looking forward to see where you go with it!!

Krava

Quote Originally Posted by Datagoblin View Post
    Clercon,

Thanks for designing this set, its what sold me on that whole edition. I wasnt aware that you could shrink the texture...I am not an expert by any means of CC3...Can you share some insight on how this is done? Would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks for the nice words. I was most honoured that profantasy liked my style that I developed for my Etrakien map, and I'm glad you like it.

Unfortunately I don't know exactly how to shrink the texture (am no expert on CC3), tried some things but couldn't get it to work. Hopefully some other person can enlighten us all :-)

It still is a great mao you have there :-)

Neonknight, can you enlighten us? I don't know how to shrink a texture either... I know it's possible though.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Belgium - Lands of chocolate and the Marsupilami

Nice, clear and efficient map, Datagoblin.

I like it. Good job and rep
    C'est peut ętre un détail pour vous,
    Mais pour moi, ça veut dire beaucoup

On the trees, if you right click the default terrain tool, then click on advanced, then click on Terrain Default, Forest Decidious (I think that is what he is using), you can adjust the sample width, which will shrink or enlarge the trees inside the countour used to draw the trees. the higher the number, the smaller the trees, the lower, the larger.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast