Thread: Orchard Isles

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Guild Member

Post Orchard Isles

This little map is for a campaign with my 7 - 12 year old (and the neighbor grandma) group (although I may also use it for a story I'm planning to write).

The Orchard Isles used to be part of a rich kingdom now shattered due to a war. The isles themselves have escaped the carnage, although the troubles have not left them unaffected. Until the fall of the kingdom, the islands provided fish, wood, mushrooms and fruits for the mainland. Now, they are in need to produce a lot of other things for themselves, too, such as grain and vegetables, honey and meat, cotton and wool. Not all of these things can be traded in safely in the amounts needed, as the existence of the isles is to be kept secret. The new despotic rulers of the kingdom might otherwise come and ransack this little refuge as well.

Of course, the players in this campaign play kids who are not just simple sons and daughters of fishers, farmers, woodcutters or city traders. They are actually the children of nobility, hidden away to protect them from the war. And they know nothing of their destiny - yet. Our dear old grandma plays the old witch who is the only one left to know about their true identity.

I tried to give the map a more comic-like feel because the youngest players I have tend to get confused with maps looking too natural.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orchard_isles.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	15936  
    Last edited by Steel General; 08-15-2009 at 01:02 PM.