Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: August Entry: Oten-Jo - Ascension

I really like those trees. Are they done mostly with noise?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Make a dot with the 45 pixel soft round brush tip but use it in pencil mode. Make a bunch of other dots so indicate trees. Oh and use white. Fill the rest of the layer with black. Crystallize it at 12. Hit it with spatter, then hit it with glass. Delete the black and the rest is layer styles: color, pattern, bevel, glows, etc. For the branches, create a new layer and fill it with the default pattern metal landscape, then hit ctrl+i to invert it and delete the blacks...leaving white branches. Erase around the trees and then color overlay it with brown. For the blossoms fill a new layer with 400% noise, double the scale, blur, delete the blacks, delete the stuff not on trees, then color overlay.

Now keep in mind that this is PS so I don't know how well it works with Gimp or PSP or Paint.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Haven't had too much time to get any work in this week, a couple of hours a day at most. Lookin pretty well close to done...gotta work on the bridges and rice paddies and of course labels and graphics.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oten-Jo1.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	4.56 MB 
ID:	16102  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Fabulous work!

There's 2 trees in the northeastern temple area that are edging their way outside the walls (from being on a lower layer I imagine), might want to send a monk out to prune those

I'm amazed!
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 08-21-2009 at 01:41 AM. Reason: typo-tastic

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Thanks for spotting that, I'll clean em up.

Amazing stuff...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Absolutely brilliant! Were you using the min / max filters on the buildings? Some of them have the kind of shape that they produced when I tried them on the lazy man's style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Haven't had too much time to get any work in this week, a couple of hours a day at most. Lookin pretty well close to done...gotta work on the bridges and rice paddies and of course labels and graphics.
    I'm loving the style of your buildings and the way you've varied the ground and street colors in the different neighborhoods. I'm sure you already know this, but your bridges are in desperate need of a drop shadow.

All of the buildings use the new brushes that I made except for the castle complex. For those I did 400% noise, then scaled it up 400% twice, patchwork filter, contrast maxed, delete the blacks, some minor hand tweaking, pick out the most interesting shapes and use as buildings, then layer styles.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast