Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: August Entry: Oten-Jo - Ascension

Blog Entries

You cool with adding yourself to the thumbs or did you want me to do it ?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I've been busy this past week...I'll get to it sometime this coming week Maybe.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Got my rice paddies in and some fields. Gotta work on the bridges, dock buildings, miscellaneous dirt and garbage and junk laying around in the alleys and yards, and then the finish graphics.

### Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oten-Jo1.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	3.72 MB 
ID:	16179  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

I like what you did with the rice paddies Ascension. Shouldn't there be more water showing though? When I see pictures of ride paddies most of the time a lot of water is visible.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Just about done. Fixed the paddies, put in some inns, put in some miscellaneous junk that one always finds in any size town, finished the bridges, and finished the docks. Not gonna do any text whatsoever cuz I will have no time this week to work on it due to other commitments. I have the park left to do and then maybe some other special buildings for decorative/aesthetic purposes. A few more hours and then she be done.

###Latest WIP ###
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oten-Jo1.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	3.89 MB 
ID:	16202  

Blog Entries

Ascension... I've been spending too much time on my map to comment on anyone else's. I have considered yours to be the level of competition I have to rise to, however unlikely that might be.

But I know how focused you can get on a map and how sometimes decisions that seem good to you just fall flat with your audience. You inclusion of the litter, debris and other "noise" in your map just isn't working for me. It looks like a colony of roaches is nesting in your city. I think you need to rethink.

I could be fully of hooey of course and, as always, YMMV. Sometimes my color-blindness makes things look a lot different to me than it does to others. No offense.

Hmmm, I think it's a beautiful map and I have no problems with the noise. So it does seem we look at it very differently Immolate. You should certainly be able to say what you think though (as long as it's constructive and your last post is constructive). We don't improve ourselves if we don't get feedback.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Actually to me that looks like small stalls, merchant's blankets set out, maybe even people wandering around the market. At least in the merchant area.

I like the clean looking maps, but this is starting to make me rethink a few ideas I had

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I sort of expected them to be like crates, piles, and stuff and I was experimenting. I should probably put more effort into sticking the debris into corners and along walls rather than just scattered around. I appreciate the honesty Imm, no hurt feelings here. You should have seen the very first town map I ever put up here, I actually put people all over it.

I personally think that this is a beautiful map that is full of exquisite detail. The trees and large buildings are my particular favorites.

That said, all the noise does look a little cluttered and busy when its not viewed at full size. I just don't know enough to know how it translates from the monitor to the page, and I'm sure asce knows better than me. But that may be something that is worth considering?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast