Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: August Entry: Oten-Jo - Ascension

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Playing around, I came up with this...I'm going to be using something like this on a commission (if vgunn likes it, that is). I probably blurred it out too much, but I was just experimenting.

Edit: Decided to put the non-blurred lines back in on top of the blurred ones...gives it a more crisp and technical look but less old-fashioned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Oten-Jo3.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	4.55 MB 
ID:	16266  
    Last edited by Ascension; 08-26-2009 at 01:31 AM.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I really love this map. I don't like to comment too much because I'm still pretty new here, but I had a couple ideas.

Regarding the clean vs dirty version: I like the clean a little better, but only because I think the dirty version looked a little over-rippled. Seeing that you can remove that effect pretty easy, have you tried using a regular "ripple" filter (set around 20-25%) instead of the "ocean ripple"? I think it has a more subtle effect.

On a different note, the trees in the districts NW and N of the canal look like they are missing shadows (they sort of look like piles on the ground rather than tree leaves above it).

Regarding the monotone version: I'm thinking of converting my Oten-jo to a sepia color after this challenge for a more classic antique styled map, so I'm curious about your method. I like it a lot, but is there a reason you blurred it or was that an effect of the process you used for the look? I'd like to see a non-blurred version if possible.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Hot dang, that's cool!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I'll take a look at those trees...I may have forgotten the shadows. After so much staring at it you can easily get lost and forget something. As for the rippling, I've tried a lot of things and nothing looks right as it usually gets over distorted or whacked out. Just trying to get something that looks hand-drawn without actually hand-drawing it As for the sepia look, I was trying to emulate these maps (posted here at The Guild previously) but with my own style and twists. The method was pretty simple: pattern overlay, color overlay to get the paper look right, select the blacks (which is why I used the heavy stroke around buildings and things) and fill with a dark brown, duplicate the layer and blur it a bit to give the ink some type of fade, stroke the river with a customized gradient of brown and clear, inner glow on the river of teal.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sduk_1834_spb_b.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	16272   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sduk_1836_moscow_b.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	16273   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stockdale_1800_hannover_b.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	16274  
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I'd say you're pretty darn close.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by MysticMagellan View Post
    Regarding the monotone version: I'm thinking of converting my Oten-jo to a sepia color after this challenge for a more classic antique styled map, so I'm curious about your method. I like it a lot, but is there a reason you blurred it or was that an effect of the process you used for the look? I'd like to see a non-blurred version if possible.
    It's really interesting you mentioned this; I was also considering going sepia! I've been fiddling around with it on and off in my working file, trying to come up with the right mix of adjustment layers. I think it'll have to be a project for another time though.

Ascension - I think I like the most recent experiment the best of the lot!
    Last edited by armoredgear7; 08-26-2009 at 10:49 AM.
    Unless otherwise noted, all of my posted work is free for use and redistribution under
    the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. My whole quest has been finding the balance between the technical and the artistic while keeping the flexibility to jump around and make changes with only a few clicks or adjustments...and I think that I'll add this one to my repertoire, as an adjunct to the antique style. Still got some work to do on the hand-drawn style...too rippley. I've got some ideas, but no time.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345