Thread: My first CG Dungeon

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Publisher Facebook Connected JPQuinn's Avatar

Wip My first CG Dungeon

Here it is, my first attempt at a dungeon map for the guild. This is the basement of a prison. I worked on this thing for about 6 hours. I used Dunjinni, Corel X2, and Windows Paint .

I have also made a larger BMP/PNG file (BMP is 35Mb!!!!) to be used later for battle maps of the individual rooms.

Any suggestions?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dungeon trial.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	220.8 KB 
ID:	15962  

Guild Journeyer

Nice work, a very clean style! When you print the battlemaps, you may want to have an option not so ink-heavy on the background...

loyd

Quote Originally Posted by loydb View Post
    Nice work, a very clean style! When you print the battlemaps, you may want to have an option not so ink-heavy on the background...

loyd
    Thanks for the tips. I'm thinking of keeping the battlemaps either greyscale or much smaller background.
    JP Quinn
    Writer, Game Designer, Map Dabbler
    Visit my blog

Blog Entries

That is a cool and clean map and should be useful to a game session.

The background texture is a little odd. Theres a lot of repeating patterns in it but its not all repeating. Its like you filled it with a repeating one and then pasted down lots of patches of rotated texture.

Heres a few tips there. You can get that texture and make a big square image of it at say 1000x1000. Get the same texture, scale it up with a nice bicubic stretch to about 130% in each dir or say 1300x1300 and get another at say 1500x1500. Now crop the two new ones to 1000x1000 again so that you have the same repeating pattern but at 3 slightly different scales. Now blend all three together and then you will have one 1000x1000 image with no repeating pattern in it.

If you then want to make that seamless then I wrote a tut about that too. Search for "seamless textures". Then flood fill with that and it will put down unlimited non repeating textures.

Its easier than it sounds. It also works better if you scale by prime numbers like 1.13 or 1.29 from the original. Actually, maybe RobA will add that into the seamless tiling script so that we have seamless non repeating textures...

Sweet! Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can make up with your suggestions, and I'll definitely take a look at the tutorials.
    JP Quinn
    Writer, Game Designer, Map Dabbler
    Visit my blog

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks good so far.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.