Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: WIP - Forgotten Lands

Wip WIP - Forgotten Lands

Time to start a new project. Again I’m experimenting something new and trying to mix it with the old tricks. There is not too much here yet but I’m hoping to get it further later this evening. I started by trying to create a nice looking mountain and scaling the forest to give an idea of a high mountain range. I also played with lighting to give it a extra touch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountains-1.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	422.3 KB 
ID:	16006  

Just plain photoshop or did you throw in new software to the mix ? Looking pretty nice btw

Quote Originally Posted by Jykke View Post
    Just plain photoshop or did you throw in new software to the mix ? Looking pretty nice btw
    Experimenting with geocontrol to get the height map in grayscale (.BMP) and then exported to Photoshop to add textures and details. I also boost the height feeling with the same technique I used in my tutorial.
    Last edited by pasis; 08-18-2009 at 01:09 PM.

I thought I saw some familiar terrain shapes! (fluvial flows). Are you using photoshop to render the heightfield & terrain texture ?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That is looking really nice so far.

I still have not quite got the hang of pulling height maps into PS. Maybe once you're done you can write a short 'tutlet' explaining how its done.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The way I use the height map is that I add other layers on top of it where I then add the final textures. Addition to that you can copy paste the height map into the channels as well and then use it with rendering lighting effect.
    I will probably write a short instructions later to explain it better.

This is the last version I have now. I changed the forest to needle leaf type and I might change the colors of the whole image a bit to make it look more Nordic.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mountains-2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	900.6 KB 
ID:	16010  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Instead of changing the colors, why not just do a second 'Nordic' version?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

wow, that is incredibly cool. Looks like there's some good spots in there for some dwarven rock avalanche traps

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Pasis! This is absolutely beautiful! I can see it being used with some PS photomanipulation / matte type stuff to put the settlements in. Castles etc. Are the textures you've used overlaidin photoshop? They match the heightfield beautifully.

Your rising mountain tutorial has already been 'the' tutorial of the Guild on making mountains. I think you may just exceed it with the one you write on this... but I'd be interested to know how much control you have over the landscaping (that I have found is always the hardest part of using heightmaps).

Best and thanks for the 'wow' factor,

Ravs

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Pasis! This is absolutely beautiful! I can see it being used with some PS photomanipulation / matte type stuff to put the settlements in. Castles etc. Are the textures you've used overlaidin photoshop? They match the heightfield beautifully.

Your rising mountain tutorial has already been 'the' tutorial of the Guild on making mountains. I think you may just exceed it with the one you write on this... but I'd be interested to know how much control you have over the landscaping (that I have found is always the hardest part of using heightmaps).

Best and thanks for the 'wow' factor,

Ravs
    There are bright guys in the forum, I see!! Jykke spotted the features (fluvial flows) from Geocontrol and you spotted the the photomanipulations (matte) to fit the castles and some other parts as well.
    The castles are overlaid in photoshop. I matched the overall lighting (so that they don't pop up too much) and added forest to go partially over them to blend them with the surroundings. Also added manually the shadows and few other tricks to fool the eye.

In theory you have all the control over the heightmap you get from Geocontrol, but you need to master the software which is not easy. In my case I have to settle with what I get from it.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast