Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Issues with 3d terrains

This camera angle is probably a bit too low, but it shows the type of effect I woud want on a larger map.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	v7.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	192.6 KB 
ID:	16106  

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jykke View Post
    Hai-Etlik, I'm not sure if the application I'm using (vue) enables me to do the type of projections etc you have mentioned. :S
    You could simulate it with an orthographic projection and then using a height map as a displacement map.

Here's an example. Orthographic on the left, simulated oblique on the right.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simulated-oblique-terrain.png 
Views:	61 
Size:	434.2 KB 
ID:	16109

It'd probably just wreck your pretty picture, but it's worth a try. Getting proper oblique projection would work far better if you can convince the software to do it, or if you can export data into some other software that can.

PS:

Re: RobA's method. Just use the orthographic image as is, with lighting and all. Then use only ambient lighting in POV-Ray.
    Last edited by Hai-Etlik; 08-21-2009 at 07:57 AM.

You can pseudo-project an image back from a 3D view to get a 2D view using the perspective and scale tools in Photoshop. The attached images show a trivial example in Wilbur.

The first one is a basic 2D image generated from a height field.

The next one is the height field and image from the first step in Wilbur's 3D viewer. The 2D distortion will eat a lot of resolution in the squished part of the image so I stretched the window to get it as large as possible. With a real 3D app you can render to a large resolution. (I overdid the 3D angle a bit so it's a little overtall for the mountains.)

The final one is the middle image pulled into Photoshop and some basic processing done to it. I applied the perspective filter to pull the top of the image out until the sides were vertical. Then I used the scale operation to stretch the perspective-distorted image back to its original square proportions.

This process gives you something like plan oblique relief from a generic 3D app with no need for special projections. It works better if you can put a bit of a horizontal barrel gradient into the height field before you render it. These techniques are from Tom Patterson's discussion at his web site (the http://www.shadedrelief.com site and http://www.shadedrelief.com/dem/dem.html ).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2DOriginal.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	74.0 KB 
ID:	16140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	16141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	16142  

Ok, I'll have to take some time and test these techniques out. Thanks for the advice

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123