Thread: What Are Your Favorite Planet and Continent Maps?

Question What Are Your Favorite Planet and Continent Maps?

What is your top-favorite map of a planet? What’s your top-favorite map of a continent? Can you attach a links? I’d love to see great examples from the Guild or outside.

Two separate publishers asked me to do two sets of maps each, all with deadlines at the same time. It’s too much work, and I’m trying to decide which, if either, I have time to undertake. One set is for a sci-fi setting depicting an entire planet and, separately, one continent of that planet enlarged and detailed. The other is a set of two maps showing a small, medieval farming village amidst bucolic countryside in summertime. The first shows the village pristine and thriving, the second when its abandoned and being slowly retaken by nature.

I’m casting about for inspiration to help me decide, I thought I’d ask here for everyone’s favorites. I’ll post a similar thread asking about planet and continent maps in the Town/City forum.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I've only really ever done 1 Sci-Fi map, and that was from one of the monthly challenges last year. You might want to take a look at some of those.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Cool! Great stuff.

I'm looking for great planet or continent maps, whether they're futuristic or sci-fi or not, however. For instance, the publisher asked me to create a continent map something like this jungle continent I did for a monster book published by Zombie Sky Press (which, combined with their request for a "continent" (suggesting oceans) is what leads me to believe they're looking for an Earth-like planet). So I'm seeking any spectacular planet or continent maps!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jungle Continent for Monster Book.jpg 
Views:	837 
Size:	4.28 MB 
ID:	16092  
    Last edited by Ashenvale; 08-20-2009 at 06:30 PM.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Wow, Redrobes!! That's fantastic!!!

I've got to learn my way around this site!
    -George Bernard Shaw

Blog Entries

Oh ok - well there's the Thumbnails which I kinda keep up to date. The main one is the finished maps but there's a set for every challenge by month too and each month we get maybe 10-20 maps so there's a load more to check out there. There's a set for the Lite Challenges now as well. There's also thumbs for the choice maps but these are almost always in the finished set too.

I also maintain several indexes. One is the members map with a link from the Community menu on top bar. I also do a members intro thread index because I cant remember who is who. I also do a site thread keyword index. Both of these and the members map are on my sig.

Theres also a tag system running where new threads are supposed to get tagged so you can search on those as well. And then theres the search box too tho if you dont know what your looking for then you might not use it.

Finally, and I guess you know about this... there is the CWBP. Thats the community world building project where we take a world and collectively map in bits. Thats what Gamerprinter is mapping Kaiden and the rest of us (plus gamerprinter too) have tiles in Ansium. I maintain the place index for that as well on the sig and I also provide the Ansium overview map which can be found in the CWBP wiki. IndustryGothica maintains the wiki and has a linkable version of my overview in there for ease of use too.

But yeah, check out the challenge thumbs. Thats got a lot in there as well.

PS. The thumbs and indexes are not always bang up to date. They lag the site as its a big fetch to get it all and index. Its done maybe monthly with current challenge thumbs done more frequently as and when - like earlier tonight for example

Ah! Now I'm in your debt, Redrobes. A map to the mapping website! I'm like a starving street waif left alone in the world's largest candy store, and I just found the light switch!
    -George Bernard Shaw