Thread: Refuge - Step by Step

Post Refuge - Step by Step

A new world called refuge. Its actually the same basic world as my last one, but with all of the good ideas from the forum, i gotta redraw it. I'm going to do it step by step, because you guys gave me so many tips and hints, I thought it would be fun to just design it with everyone's participation. Also, if anyone likes the way it turns out, they have an idea on how it was created.

Ok,

STEP 1 (The Land): The first thing, I need to do is create the land. This is perhaps the hardest part for me. I could use a little help. what type looks best. An island chain, continent style, or peninsula style. (This isn't how they will actually look, just for getting an idea.

Greeblies: Too many, not enough???

Marc
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Refuge 1 - island chain style.PNG 
Views:	143 
Size:	992.4 KB 
ID:	16095   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Refuge 1 - Cut of continent.PNG 
Views:	59 
Size:	868.4 KB 
ID:	16096   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Refuge 1 - Penninsula.PNG 
Views:	56 
Size:	930.1 KB 
ID:	16097  

Post Re: Refuge and Greeblies

On the greeblies, I would recommend that you make some areas a bit smoother, you want to avoid a 'sawtooth' feel to the lands.

I prefer the island chain map. It has a fairly balanced feel to it. I would suggest you flesh out the corner of the island change and make more land there...Mainly so the Boojums have room to advance south.

Datagoblin

Name:	Refuge 1.png 
Views:	72 
Size:	356.1 KB 
ID:	16098  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like the islands as well.

Not sure what you are using to generate the land masses but the seem very 'polygonal'.

@Datagoblin - Always wondered what Boojums looked like (now I know), are they enemies of the Greeblies?
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Boojums can ruin anyone's day...Greeblies is a term we use to describe the crenelations or bumpiness of the coastline...Or what you might find under the rim of the toilet bowl...Brrr.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I thought they were like SMURFs (Sadistic Midgets United to Ruin Fun)

Sorry for the minor threadjack Davros
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

lol, no prob. its important to get greeblies and boogums straight!!!

Post Step 1 (semi complete)

Step 1 (Semi Complete) - getting the land down is probably one of the hardest parts for me to do. So I am going to defer a part of it until I get some inspiration (northern continent, and southern continent).

The Story: The Middle Kingdoms are the civilized corps of this part of the world. However, hordes of barbarians from the north and the south (as yet undrawn), have been raiding and pillaging the kingdoms until civilization has almost broken down. The have reverted into a feudal type society, desperate to hold out against the barbiarian hordes.

So, I move on to step 2. The Mountain Ranges.

Name:	Refuge 1 - The middle kingdoms.PNG 
Views:	64 
Size:	1.53 MB 
ID:	16138  

Post Moving

I am in the process of moving, so am gonna have to stop this project for the moment. i thought i could get ready and still do it, but it just isn't working. i'll start a new thread from the beginning probably in the mid october timeframe.

thx everyone

Ok, I know your settled in your new nest...wheres the update HMMM?

Nice maps, i would like to focus on some world mapping but it seems i never gonna have the time. XD

My work is under CC licences, you can see wich one apply in the work itself, if there is no CC logo, you can assume is an: Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 Unported licence

Need more rights, just mail me and we can chat about it.