Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodcut map

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Plays with my eyes like one of those optical illusions. I see hills and then get a headache. Kinda neat tho.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Personally? I liked the first version better.

I have to agree with Diamond here, The first version looks better I don't like that on the second version, the woodcut effect is on everywhere on the water.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

While I think the changes give it more of a wood grain appearance, after about 5 seconds it started to bother my eyes to look at it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

I like the straighter "cuts" on the second version but the cloud or noise wipeout of the lines in the deeper sea are gone. If you could bring that back like in the first one I think it would look great.

The dizzy effect when you look at the zoomed-out image is a moire pattern and won't show if it get's printed. It is an artifact of zooming on the computer screen. And I think it will go away if you white out the deep sea with fuzz.

Nifty work, can't wait to see the continent interior.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected

Looks pretty great. You'll have to reveal yoru secrets (yet again).

I would think, to get a slightly dirtier and more authentic appearance (ala the Durer reference), you could do a very slight pixel noise/spread thing to push some of those pixels around, and possibly a very tiny, almost imperceptible blur?
    I think, therefore I am a nerd.
    Cogito, ergo sum nerdem.

Check out my blog: "The Undiscovered Author"
    It's the story of a writer... follow me in my simple quest to get published, and share your own writing stories, adventures and writerly tips.

Pimping my worldmap here. Still WIP... long way to go, but I'm pretty proud of what I've done so far...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I think that is much better, definitely easier on my eyes.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Both of those (first and last) look good to me. I'd suggest tackling the interior of the island before getting too precise with the water, as the balance of tones between them will be important and that's going to affect your choices on the water I guess. Looks great to me so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Karro View Post
    Looks pretty great. You'll have to reveal yoru secrets (yet again).

I would think, to get a slightly dirtier and more authentic appearance (ala the Durer reference), you could do a very slight pixel noise/spread thing to push some of those pixels around, and possibly a very tiny, almost imperceptible blur?
    My plan is to use a similar technique to my quarry map, where I apply a textured BG then do a very small displace using the texture. Makes the "ink" look like it is on the "paper" rather than above the "paper".

-Rob A>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast