Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodcut map

Post Woodcut map

I'm making a map that was requested to be similar to S John Ross' Uresia.

Hre is me current woodcut effect, which requires a gimp+inkscape workflow:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cg_latest.png 
Views:	557 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	16133

Thoughts?

-Rob A>

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Good looking effect there. Reminds me of those things we did in junior high with the gray rubbery stuff that had to be carved out and then inked and printed...whatever that was called.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

It looks terrific. I particularly like the way you've got that 'pinched' effect where the horizontal lines meet the coast line. This looks as good as anything that the 'India Ink' filter in Photoshop can accomplish.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    Good looking effect there. Reminds me of those things we did in junior high with the gray rubbery stuff that had to be carved out and then inked and printed...whatever that was called.
    That was a linoleum block print. It's used the same way that a wood block is for printing. So I guess it looks like a print. Good job.

The effect looks nice graphically and it is very clear to read. It might just be a little too clean and neat. Wood block carving lines are usually a little rougher and straighter but I am really just nitpicking.

Here is a close up of a block print that you can see irregularities on, and this one is by Durer, arguably the best woodblock printer ever.

Thanks for showing.

To my eye the effect looks really nice. I'm not bothered by the cleanness. I think it will leave more space wor the other details.

That's a really nice effect. That water is very pleasing on the eye. I look forward to seeing where this project goes.

Here is a close up of a block print that you can see irregularities on, and this one is by Durer, arguably the best woodblock printer ever.
    Nice Albrecht Dürer reference, Mr. Greengoat. He's probably one of my all time favorite artists. The things he accomplished with blocks of wood are amazing. I could see maybe roughing up the shoreline to make it more irregular, but its not a deal breaker for me. I guess it depends on what his goal for the map is....to look like it is an actual woodblock printing or just mimic one.
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Guild Novice

Ya, like I said, it was just nitpicking. Sometimes you want to aim for simulation and sometime you want clarity. It's kind of the whole prop versus tool usage for the map in question.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I'll chime in with my compliments as well. Nothing really constructive to say, other than it looks fantastic. I love maps done in this style/look.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast