Thread: Commissioning Artwork

Question Commissioning Artwork

Well one thing I lack is the skill to create a true work of art and unfortunately that is exactly what I am in need of. I am working on a campaign setting and I need an artist to help me convey the looks and feels of the setting.

So on that note I am coming forward to ask this question... Does anybody happen to know any good artists capable of creating landscapes and other pictures with a mix of steampunk and atlantis style appearances to them? Barring that I could even go for any sites that might help hook me up with such people.
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Browse deviantart & conceptart.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

You might check out Atlantica.com and see if they list any of the artists they used in the game development.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Post I've been commissioning art recently.

I've been commissioning art recently, and it ain't cheap - if you want work that is any kind of good. Now if you personally know any artists, that's probably the best way to go. But if you have to have pros doing the work, then Deviant Art is a good place to start as already mentioned.

I've done some work with Avatararts.com they have different levels of pro and different prices, and they do either onesy-twosey art or package deals. I don't know their pricing, except that package deals start at $500.

Most of the art in my Kaidan project comes from artists posting their work on Dementia5.com, the site of my publisher, and perhaps the best prices for the best art, I've found so far. Actually I'm relying on these people and found little reason to look elsewhere.

One thing to note, the busier the image, the more people and things that make up the content raises the price fast. Noting most of the work I've got done is single and no more than two individuals per piece - that's so its reasonable for me.

Check out Dementia5.com, that may be your best bet.

GP
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

What exactly do you need, what can you pay, and when are the deadlines? Do you have a one-paragraph, visually precise description of each image, along with its exact dimensions, style, color vs. black & white, and price for each? Does the price change if one artist does the whole body of work? Is there flex in the deadlines, and does the price change if there is? Do you want to purchase first world-wide publication rights only, something less, or something greater?

If you have these details, pass each along. I'll keep them confidential, and I know some good people who might be interested if the price and inspiration come together.
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by Ashenvale View Post
    What exactly do you need, what can you pay, and when are the deadlines? Do you have a one-paragraph, visually precise description of each image, along with its exact dimensions, style, color vs. black & white, and price for each? Does the price change if one artist does the whole body of work? Is there flex in the deadlines, and does the price change if there is? Do you want to purchase first world-wide publication rights only, something less, or something greater?

If you have these details, pass each along. I'll keep them confidential, and I know some good people who might be interested if the price and inspiration come together.
    No need to keep them confidential.

What exactly do you need?
    Two images, one of a landscape and one of a person.

What can you pay, and when are the deadlines?
    Not exactly certain yet though I can easily afford a price tag in the hundreds of dollars.

Do you have a one-paragraph, visually precise description of each image, along with its exact dimensions, style, color vs. black & white, and price for each?
    No on the paragraph though it would be easy for me to write one up, same for style and dimensions. Preferably color but if it costs too much I may just go for b&w. As for price that would be something to work out with the artist.

Does the price change if one artist does the whole body of work?
    No

Is there flex in the deadlines, and does the price change if there is?
    The deadline flex is quite large and the price is the same regardless as long as they give me regular updates that show they're working on it.

Do you want to purchase first world-wide publication rights only, something less, or something greater?
    Not sure exactly what these entail but I do know that I would like to retain sole copyright ownership of the finished product (with the artist retaining the right to display it in their portfolio).
    My Map Portfolio
    -----
    Unless otherwise stated, all my work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Heh well GP I followed your suggestion to check out d5 and the artist I like the most happens to be one you are using, Simon Turnbull. Perhaps you could tell me what his pricing is like (and anything else useful to know).
    My Map Portfolio
    -----

Guild Novice

Another source might be the Marketplace forums on ENworld or another RPG site, you can post a classified type listing and see what turns up.