Thread: My First Map

Map My First Map

I want to start with saying that I didn't make a map before and my skills can't even reach an ametaur. It's true that I had no intention to make this map artistically good,but I wouldn't be able to do it even if I wanted.

I used a famous brush on photoshop that I don't remember now for the mountains.

How do you find my map?

Blank Map: http://hizliresim.com/WYaEdL

Rivers and Mountains: http://hizliresim.com/ZdpJmZ

Climates: http://hizliresim.com/z4LY96

In the climates map, those 2 continents on the sides aren't arctic climate zones. No one knows what climate is like in there since no one came back from there.

I'm sure that there must be mistakes on the climates map. How can I make a better climate map? Also, I wanted to implement monsoon climate but I didn't know where to put it. I only have basic knowledge about climates after all.

Generally,I'm open for the suggestions about this map.
    Last edited by barkardes; 10-09-2016 at 02:57 PM.

The shapes are nice, and the islands are spread very naturally ... Your rivers may be a bit "fantastical" for my taste, but I,like more realistic or natural looking rivers, and don't often go into the tributaries, just marking the main line of the river...

Did you place mountains first then rivers ?

In the climates map, those 2 continents on the sides aren't arctic climate zones. No one ones what climate is lik in there since no one came back from there.
    That statement is quite enigmatic. Is your planet a sphere or something else?
    If it is then, the two areas should be connected, forming only one continent. Unless this is not a map of the whole world, since the map has a weird height/width ratio.

As for the climate.
    Mediterranean should not be near harsh continental

Subtropical and tropical are not climates. They represent a geographic area. For example, the Mediterranean climate is a subtropical one.

Most of the coasts (especially the western coasts) would be oceanic climate but it can be oceanic humid or desertic. Namibia has a strong oceanic influence (low temperature variation) but it's dry as hell. That is because the winds is blowing right from the sea.
    The opposite is true, the east coasts tend to have a more continental climate, since the wind is blowing from the interior of the continent.
    That being said, this is mostly true for the mid latitudes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryusamasan View Post
    The shapes are nice, and the islands are spread very naturally ... Your rivers may be a bit "fantastical" for my taste, but I,like more realistic or natural looking rivers, and don't often go into the tributaries, just marking the main line of the river...

Did you place mountains first then rivers ?
    I actually tried to have natural rivers . And yeah, I placed the mountains first, then the rivers. How can I have more natural ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Azelor View Post
    That statement is quite enigmatic. Is your planet a sphere or something else?
    If it is then, the two areas should be connected, forming only one continent. Unless this is not a map of the whole world, since the map has a weird height/width ratio.

As for the climate.
    Mediterranean should not be near harsh continental

Subtropical and tropical are not climates. They represent a geographic area. For example, the Mediterranean climate is a subtropical one.

Most of the coasts (especially the western coasts) would be oceanic climate but it can be oceanic humid or desertic. Namibia has a strong oceanic influence (low temperature variation) but it's dry as hell. That is because the winds is blowing right from the sea.
    The opposite is true, the east coasts tend to have a more continental climate, since the wind is blowing from the interior of the continent.
    That being said, this is mostly true for the mid latitudes.
    My planet is sphere but this is not the full world only the known world. Map actually goes a lot more on sides and some to the south and north.

Got it. I will change those harsh continental zones.

Well,this is the way they teach us in school so I might translated them wrong. Tropical is rainforests here and subtropical are savannas. I think savannas are larger than it should be by the way.

And yeah, I was also thinking that Oceanic climate should be larger, I didn't know how to expand them.Thank you.

Help

After a long time,I decided to finish the climates map. So,this is the new one:

http://i.hizliresim.com/lEXb4Q.jpg

Greem- Tropical
    Brown- Savannah
    Blue- Oceanic
    Yellow- Desert
    Red- Mediterranean
    Light Gray- Mild Continental
    Dark Gray- Harsh Continental
    White- Arctic

I couldn't do this with winds,sea currents etc. because I wasn't able to do so.

What do you think of this? Are the climates spread realistically?

I would also appreciate your thoughts on the map generally,as can be seen on the post 1.

Edit:Corrected the link.
    Last edited by barkardes; 10-10-2016 at 03:05 PM.

There seems to be a problem with the latest image? I can only see blue and white...

About the original map: Good job so far! I think maybe it is a bit too crowded with mountains. Don't get me wrong, you can certainly have a lot of mountain ranges on your map, but they're very evenly distributed. I'd probably try to break that up a bit in order to establish some kind of graphical rhythm.

Quote Originally Posted by mat_r View Post
    There seems to be a problem with the latest image? I can only see blue and white...

About the original map: Good job so far! I think maybe it is a bit too crowded with mountains. Don't get me wrong, you can certainly have a lot of mountain ranges on your map, but they're very evenly distributed. I'd probably try to break that up a bit in order to establish some kind of graphical rhythm.
    Ah,I took the wrong link.Here is the real one.

http://i.hizliresim.com/lEXb4Q.jpg

As for the mountains, I guess you are right,especially for the ones in the eastern continent. I was also thinking of changing them but couldn't spare the time to do so.