Thread: *** Aug/Sep lite challenge - GOLD ***

Post *** Aug/Sep lite challenge - GOLD ***

So, the other Community Leaders made the mistake of letting me have this month's lite challenge. My greedy little fingers are in fact all over it. This month's theme is "GOLD". The yellow, glittering stuff we all so very much want to get our paws at. The challenge is to draw a map heavily influenced by the "GOLD" theme. Any map can be entered. For your inspiration, some of the possibilities:

- Regional map depicting GOLD mines in a region.
    - Treasure map to the famous city of GOLD.
    - Map to a sunken ship filled with GOLD.
    - Pirate map leading to chests of GOLD.
    - Map of a town which is famous for mining GOLD.
    - Map of a temple filled with GOLDEN statues.
    - Map of a structure containing GOLD (bank, merchant, etc).
    - Map of a GOLD mine.
    - Map of a dungeon with a large treasure chamber filled with GOLD.
    etc, etc.

Your map must include:

- Anything goes. As long there's a strong and physical link with GOLD. The more shiny stuff we see, the better. So don't create a pirate map, mark the chest filled with GOLD with an X and leave it at that. No, depict the treasure as well. Or put some GOLD coins on the maps as props. Work it into your border. Your map should be dripping GOLD and still look elegant!

Special rule: maps may not feature Spandau Ballet. Although it's probably a good idea to just put the song on repeat, while you work on your map! Click here and put it on repeat!

Please title your entry with the name of your map. Eg: Aug/Sep Lite Entry - Sunken Temple of the GOLDEN Gods

The contest will end on or about 20th September. We would like a large turnout, so join in on the fun!

We will now resume regular broadcasting.
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 08-22-2009 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Forgot the link to Spandau Ballet's GOLD, doh :-)

Hrmmmmm . . . This is tempting. So very, very tempting. In fact, it's so tempting . . . .

GW

P.S. I don't suppose there will be extra points for a good back-story, will there?
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greason Wolfe View Post
    P.S. I don't suppose there will be extra points for a good back-story, will there?
    No I don't think so
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Voters are about 50/50 when it comes to remembering to vote for a good story as a bonus to the map, me for one. For this, though, I think it certainly wouldn't hurt.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

A good backstory will certainly help. Or at least I think it's important. In the end the map itself determines most of the points of course.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Yarr! Mi Gold! Now I just would have to create a map for my treasure. :E

Edit: Actually.. If there is someone who would like to use this image or some part of it on their map, thats just fine by me.
    I'll probably make a new treasure anyway
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mi-gold.png 
Views:	95 
Size:	413.6 KB 
ID:	16181  
    Last edited by Jykke; 08-23-2009 at 07:22 AM.

Someone probably should close the lite challenge and set up a poll ?