Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Aug/Sep Lite Entry - Well of the Golden Maiden

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    really nice erosion lines on those mountains!
    We can thank Wilbur and a lot of patience for those. Had to swing back and forth between the Precipitation and Incise Flow functions three times each before those fell into place. And, of course, I had to experiment with the Incise Flow settings to get the look I wanted. Oddly enough, it worked better without working in any Basin Fills until the very end, just before I ran the Erosion Cycle to find the rivers.

Speaking of which, I suppose I should get back to work on those. Needed a bit of a break to grab some chow and watch Iron Man for the hundredth time.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

In needing a break from plotting rivers (such a tedious task) I got to fiddling around in Terragen and hit upon something I should have thought of a long time ago. I do believe (and I may be totally wrong) that I've just taught Terragen how to draw for me. I'm not talking about the pretty, colored, photo-realistic pictures. Nope, I'm talking about something that looks (or at least almost looks) as if it was drawn by hand.

I'm not 100% certain it will work out right, and I'm waiting on a large scale render to see what happens, but, if it does, I'm gonna have to do a jig! Once the render is done, I'll slap it against a pretty background and post it here for the rest of you to judge. My biggest concern is whether or not it will still offer a perception of depth/elevation, and I'll have to work out just how I might better depict snowy peaks, but overall, I'm very very hopeful.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

sounds cool. Can't wait to see it!

So close, and yet so far. Much of it works, but some areas just aren't working in that the slopes appear to be pointing in the wrong direction (like the central area leading down to the bottom). I might be able to tweak the process, but it will have to wait for another time. Gotta crawl in bed for now and try to get some sleep before work.

GW

P.S. Here it is for thoughts, suggestions or the sake of curiosity.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Draw Test 8-29.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	16328  
    GW

I think it might be just a camera angle issue ?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks pretty good to me, its gotta be useful for something I would think.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I would be very interested to see how you got that effect. I haven't really drawn anything on paper for 10 years so having the pc do that would be sweet.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

It looks like you've thresholded the mountain shadows - nice effect! It may be that the field of view of the camera may be the reason why the angle appears to change from overhead to the near mountains to iso on the further ones....if you make the FOV as low as possbile say 1% ish then that might give you a more consistent mountain angle (if that's what you're after)....looking really cool!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast