Thread: An untitled world

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip An untitled world

I've spent much time lately experimenting with various styles, so I've created dozens of partially finished maps... I like this one the best so far.

Its a semi-realistic atlas form. The world has no name, and its pretty undeveloped. What I have done is the terrain; I am still working on the mountains, then adding some forest and farmland detail, and resolving errors in logic, like some rivers [I based the rivers around the initial general map with mountains scribbled in, so of course they require a bit of tweaking after doing the terrain effects].

The world was created in the same way as my last map project - getting an idea of what shape the world will be, then designing it around that idea - in this case, one continent divided into a larger southern region containing mostly grasslands, light forest, and desert, and a northern region, colder, with more mountains, and water on both sides of the continent.

I used the good old technique of generating clouds, playing with the threshold, then cutting and pasting bits of shoreline and lakes to make something more continent-ish.

Its all done in PS7. Its a good program for this, although I wish I had an updated version...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled FMap1 Terrain.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	124.3 KB 
ID:	16187