Thread: Northern Isles/Crazy Fjords

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip Northern Isles/Crazy Fjords

Her's a campaign map I'm working on, created on paper and in Photoshop CS and Wilbur. It's a little Technicolor TM, but it does fit my Norse/Scottish/Fey theme.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fjords2.png 
Views:	170 
Size:	3.19 MB 
ID:	16217

I sketched the basics on paper, scanned, it, and then went into Photoshop CS. I mainly based by work on Jezelf's tutorials, and "Photoshop Mapping With Chuck", rending clouds for the basis of a height map, and then grinding it down in Wilbur. Bringing it back into Photoshop, I used Render Lighting and Emboss to get the relief to show up. I had to fiddle with it quite a while before I could get it to look passable.

Then I painted in my terrains as colors below the relief. I blocked them in first, masking by height, then used Ripples, Gausian Blurs, and Glass filters to spread them out. The water, mountain and forest textures came from Pasis's mountains tutorials. I started work on the map with that approach also, so might go ahead and finish that one up too.

The reddish mountains and white peaks are above all the others. I just used a color range selection on my heightmap, and filled it with the mountain texture, and white for the peaks.

The forest is above the ground color layer, at 50% opacity. I copyed my original (unblurred) dark green areas, used a high-density Wave filter, and then after blurring the edges, filled them with Pasis's forest texture.

I think I will take a similar approach with the other areas of the map, as I want to get some fields and rocky ground better indicated. I've played a bit with mapping in Photoshop before, but this is my biggest and most successful project yet. Your advice and comments would be appreciated.

For some fun, here's my concept map, before Wilbur got to it! I may redo it to match my original coastline more closely, but decided to go with what I got.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mapsm.png 
Views:	99 
Size:	963.7 KB 
ID:	16218

Sorry, if a mod could put this in the regional rather than general section, it would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Last edited by Jaem; 08-24-2009 at 07:17 PM.