Thread: First map: Aralor

Map First map: Aralor

G'day everyone, my first post on the forums.

I have created a map for an upcoming RPG book I am working on and thought I would share. This was created using the freeware AutoREALM software, then the parchement background was done in Photoshop. It depicts one small region of the campaign world called Aralor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Aralor - parchment.jpg 
Views:	3078 
Size:	3.27 MB 
ID:	16228  

Welcome aboard! You might want some feedback on your map, so I'll just hop straight to the main things here . I like the idea of the map, it looks to be a map projected on 3d parchement model. The projected bitmap however is a bit low res, as there is some pixelation. The (3d ?) model of the perchament is also a bit too sharp on the edges, and the tears are somewhat unrealistically clean.

However, I think you can produce very good looking maps with this technique. Just crank up the resolution of the actual map projection and make the perchament model a bit more torn than it is now. You could also do the tears more natural looking manually on photoshop.

Overall, It's a very good map for you first post on the forum. Don't take my criticism too harshly on yourself I just wanted to break the main issues I see with the technique, so you can perfect it later on. As it promising style and also your first posted map, I think you deserve some rep for it. So *bonk*, welcome, and enjoy your time in the guild!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

First off... Welcome Aboard!

You have a nice little map there, thx for posting.

Now for a few nit-picks (you knew they were coming )...

Love the mountain symbols, 2 or 3 more to add some additional variety might be helpful. Your torn & burnt parchment isn't to bad, but you may want to look into some on-line tutorials for some ideas/inspiration (there's a ton of good ones out there). Lastly, I think I'd drop the white background or at least shrink it down. Don't think you really need it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Welcome to the Forums!

I agree %100 with what SG and Jykke had to say. I love those mountain symbols as well, just wish there was a tad bit more variety. The pixellation of the symbols and stuff are also pretty distracting. The tears and edges are also way to sharp and perfect.

Overall though its a really nice concept and an excellent first post. Did I mention I really like those mountain symbols?
    "Listen, strange women lyin' in ponds distributin' swords is no basis for a system of government."

My Albums - My Portfolio

Like said above, when one zooms in fully, it is a bit fuzzy.

Personally, this map reminds me of those maps I first made as a DM.

I like it very much. Keep making maps!

Very nice. I can't wait to see what else you come up with. Have some rep and welcome to the guild.
    Cheers,
    Tim

Paratime Design Cartography

"Do infants have as much fun in infancy as adults do in adultery?" - Groucho Marx