Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rail yard

The poles fit in quite well:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rail_yard.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	699.2 KB 
ID:	16286  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That's why Rob's one of our best Good stuff to the both of you.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Quote Originally Posted by agroschim View Post
    The poles fit in quite well:
    I hoped so. I loaded your map and created it on new layers above that. I was trying for your scale and colour palette.

-Rob A>

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Actually if you're willing to put in the work for a bit more realism, the telegraph poles and wires themselves could use a treatment on the shadows. If you look at actual lines, they sag towards the middle, and that would come across in the shadow shape, even if looking striaght down - plus there would be a bit of angle to the pole shadows themselves too. Might be more work than you're willing to do, but Ascension had an interesting approach that he described for castle towers that could apply here.

Draw out the shape from the side view, then skew and distort that shape till you get the shadow angle right, and gauss blur that, then adjust opacity as needed.

As it is now, the poles have the same shadow as the rest, which makes everything look like ti's a similar height).

All that having been said, I love the map anyhow

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Journeyer

It seems to me that the wires would be on the same side of the rails as the building, since the telegraph machine would need access to the wires. If the building does not have a telegraph office then I guess that it would not be the case though.
    “Maps encourage boldness. They're like cryptic love letters. They make anything seem possible.”
    -Mark Jenkins

Quote Originally Posted by wormspeaker View Post
    It seems to me that the wires would be on the same side of the rails as the building, since the telegraph machine would need access to the wires. If the building does not have a telegraph office then I guess that it would not be the case though.
    Excellent point. (sometimes the obvious avoids us!)

And with the wires, telegraph lines were always bare copper (sometimes shellacked) so they should either be copper coloured or have a green/grey patina.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by wormspeaker View Post
    It's just a warehouse. No office or something like that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12