Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP Unnamed Place_001

heh, yeah, I realized after I posted it that while I'd left the opacity up to draw them, my intention was always to turn it down some. you'll see in the next update as it's not worth another update just to see that.

At the moment my to-do list is:
    * Make a layer for climate, something to show visually what 'average' weather is like. This will be a layer toggled off for the political view, but on for showing to players once or twice.

* Make a layer that labels geographical locations. I tried it with the countries and it was very crowded, I need to make a new group for landscape labeling that can be toggled separately

Probably, when the finalized version goes up on my campaign wiki, I'll have three or four versions of the map with different top labeling layers showing to illustration political, geographical, climatology and one or two others that may be needed. I don't think an elevation map is needed, as I think it's pretty clear where the high's and lows are without any topographical data.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I'd almost missed the volcano in the west, nice touch

I kinda like this one. It's a lot less busy than mine, but that's a good thing I think. less things to distract from your roads and towns (and nice farms too).

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

the textures are all Pasis, so I can hardly take credit for them :-)

How is this for borders?

Blog Entries

Finis, this is a big map. Really, really big. The thin fonts you are using seem inadequate. I think you'd find a larger, blockier font would "fit" in the world better. You can make them translucent to keep them from feeling like they are obscuring things.

Not saying this is good, just suggesting the concept. You could easily make it work for you by carefully selecting the font.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krizenisles original.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	440.1 KB 
ID:	16431Click image for larger version. 

Name:	krizenisles modified.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	436.2 KB 
ID:	16432

I get what you are saying and I think you're right. The major problem (and it's a small problem really, just the only problem) is that since moving to my new computer... my font library is... lacking...

That is my humble excuse. But you're are right really. I'll see if I can't find a better font.

On a side note. While I was writing up the history of this place, i found myself needing to know where these people came from (as the humans are not native to the island) so I drew up this quick sketch in photoshop.

The problem is when I did so I realized how... sqaure my original landmasses were in formation and so it looks... awkward.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	theoldcountry.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	667.5 KB 
ID:	16433  

Blog Entries

I think they are fine.

Update, font change to something I think works much better.

http://www.shadowlandbbs.net/images/krizenisles-wip.jpg

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks like my beloved Fortunaschwein...an art nouveau font with just a touch of old world appeal. I, for one, love it
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast