Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WIP Unnamed Place_001

Wip WIP Unnamed Place_001

Hi there,

I don't recall if any of you remember, as it's been almost a year since I posted. But here I am again, trying to get a campaign map for a new DnD game I am going to start soon.

This time I kind of wanted to just draw a neat looking map, and then once I was satisfied with that, put in the cities and countries sort of -- organically. (where they would logically seem to go in the land)

So.. here is my semi-final pass at the land itself. The scale is not in.. but it's roughly the same size as the UK in height. Please critique at your leisure, I am including the full rez version, so it's pretty big (3200x3200) so the detail can be seen.

Obviously, you can tell I used Pasis' wonderful tutorial and techniques, and then experimented further as I went.

Edit (hey the link to the file!) http://www.shadowlandbbs.net/images/ze_map_004-wip.jpg
    Last edited by Finis; 08-25-2009 at 07:36 PM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks pretty good. I'm not sure about the braided rivers but at least they look interesting Volcano looks good too.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Yeah, I was kind of modeling them after some of the google maps images of the larger rivers in Asia. I think I over did it though.

Maybe if you tightened up the spacing on the loops? I dunno.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

Looking great! Quick tip: on your landmass bevel, don't use white as the highlight colour, use a lighter shade of the landmass colour (green) - it usually makes the bevel look a lot nicer.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking good so far, my only 'nit-picks' were covered by Ascension & Ravells.

Looking forward to seeing it develop.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

thanks for the comments and advice.

Here is the next stage:

http://www.shadowlandbbs.net/images/ze_map_005-wip.jpg

I've added some terrain texture to a few locations (the North west coastal islands, and the rainforest in the southeast, and my favorite, the crevas in the desert) and of course, cities and roads. I am not sold on the farming fields and it has been very hard to judge scale for me. Trying to get a balance between 'semi real' and still having the iconic representation on the map.

please let me know what you think

I think your farmland looks great, as does everything else.

Update

http://www.shadowlandbbs.net/images/ze_map_006-wip.jpg

Added more population areas and finally some labeling.. still toying with the look. I want it to be obvious, but not detract from the landscape of the map.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looks nice, my only suggesting would be to blur/lower the opacity of the borders.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast