Thread: hand-drawn maps

Question hand-drawn maps

Hi ! I'm not a troll at all, but nearly all maps on this forum are in their larger part computer-generated or reworked, and I must confess I'm quite fond of exclusively hand-drawn maps. Even if technically less nice than a map reworked in photoshop, they've a (romantical ? nostalgic ?) distinct feeling to me. Are there some other fans like me ? And resources, like discussions on how to draw certains symbols ?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Look through the Tutorials section for a mega tut by Delgondahntelius on hand-drawing things. Also look through the Reference Material section and Mapping Elements section. And be sure to check out the other tutorials for ideas. The computerized maps you see are here because they are easy to do and require no artistic talent (or very little). Since that is hard to teach and learn many try to emulate the look...with varying degrees of success. We all love hand-drawn maps but not all have the talent or skill to make them. Plus, some of us don't have good paper and pens Welcome and have fun.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

What Ascension said...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Great links and advice, though I don't totally agree with you. In fact, I stick with hand-drawn maps because my gimp-fu is not good enough. It's also easier to work with paper in terms of mobility (though with my EEE pc, Gimp is available everywhere). I'm also making a difference between technical maps (my choice, it's easier, and I tend to make multiple geographic and politic markings on my maps) and artistic maps (with artistic drawings imbedded, more oriented towards aesthetic goals than geographical ones).
    Yes, I think the problem is there : I prefer technical maps, even if ugly. I'm not criticizing at all (I'm drooling every time I visit the forums), but the main bulk on maps is more oriented towards "eyecandy", at the expense of readability and realistic coherence.
    Nevertheless, I will continue to rejoice at seeing such wonderful maps the community creates and shows off everyday.

Some hand-drawn styles are awesome. Some digital artists spend hours & hours trying to achieve hand-drawn effects. (Vicey versey, too.)

Quote Originally Posted by mystic badger View Post
    (though with my EEE pc, Gimp is available everywhere).
    A mini review,please... how is the EEE (or any netbook?) for gimp? Usable? great? barely adequate?

Got my eye on this baby: http://usa.asus.com/Product.aspx?P_ID=qdwslBLhhfuw43HS

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    A mini review,please... how is the EEE (or any netbook?) for gimp? Usable? great? barely adequate?

-Rob A>
    I've got one less powerful and it works quite well. For sure, don't work on too big files, but I've done photo reworking without effort.

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post

-Rob A>

Thanks RobA....one more thing on my 'must have' list!

Christmas...maybe.

Guild Novice

I think the main issue is that people tend to reach an adult age without that much exposure to hand-craft skills and drafting and ultimately become more comfortable using the computer. I think if more of the cartographers just become exposed to drawing by hand they would come to realize that that same talents for digital design carry over to traditional design. The tools just take a bit getting used to.