Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A dungeon I used for a PBP Delve

Map A dungeon I used for a PBP Delve

Been visiting this forum every now and again for a while now. Always great to see so many different ideas so thought it fair I post something of what I use.

The following maps I put together for a Play-by-Post 4E Dungeon Delve. The focus of that particular game is on the combat and the mechanics of it so I wanted a fairly clear map that wouldn't leave too much room for confusion but I couldn't resist trying to give it a little atmosphere as well.

I spent most of the time developing the photoshop layers and effects as all the walls and levels are effects and I just draw each stepped layer as solid white. The floor and solid wall textures were created using a mixture of filters and again using solid white for where the wall is and let the filters colour and border it.

The two maps are using exactly the same template and just a redraw of the mask layers. Though possibly I did make a change to the solid wall effect as it seems significantly darker on the second and later maps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	170 
Size:	124.0 KB 
ID:	16153   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	16154  
    Last edited by Vard5; 08-22-2009 at 10:03 AM.

That height effect is quite interesting, and it works really well on this map. Welcome aboard and have some rep for your work!

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

First off.. Welcome Aboard!

Secondly... couple of nice little maps there. My only 'nitpick' is I wish they were larger/higher rez.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thanks and thanks.

They were actually both created at double that resolution but that copy is the one that I used for the pbp game (being online I wasn't looking for that higher resolution).

Here is the 1st map at the resolution I used to create it. Note that if you are interested I can generate it at any resolution. Since it's all done with layer effects it scales quite nicely.

Name:	1_big.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	380.8 KB 
ID:	16157  
    Last edited by Vard5; 08-24-2009 at 04:07 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I definitely get the feeling of something lurking there...very nice.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Journeyer

Those are two excellent maps and I can already see ways of using them in my own games (definitely something sandy) too. Have some rep!

Cool.. well if they are actually useful enough for someone to use here are two others I created for other encounters.

The actual game maps have various lighting effects on them as well that adjusted as the encounter progressed. These maps just become the base layers for the in combat photoshop file.

Name:	Map3.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	154.9 KB 
ID:	16205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Map4.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	143.7 KB 
ID:	16206  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vard5 View Post
    The actual game maps have various lighting effects on them as well that adjusted as the encounter progressed. These maps just become the base layers for the in combat photoshop file.
    So you send out copies showing only the parts that are in visual range then?
    Not familiar with the play by post for this sort of thing. A friend tried to get me involved in a play by mail thing years back for some galactic domination game, with thousands of trade routes, diplomacy, world exploiting etc, but I couldn't get into it.

That's actually a pretty interesting idea. It occurs to me one could adapt that for an overhead display, using masks to reveal what's in range, like a fog of war

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Actually, I think that's one of the features of Virtual Table Tops. Very useful, I imagine, though I've never tried it.

Belgium - Lands of chocolate and the Marsupilami

Awesome relief effect.
    I like it
    C'est peut être un détail pour vous,
    Mais pour moi, ça veut dire beaucoup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast