• Oten-jo by MM - MysticMagellan

14 25.45%
  • Oten-jo (SG style) - Steel General

1 1.82%
  • Oten-job Ascension - Ascension

7 12.73%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: *** August 2009 Challenge Voting - Create a city map for Kaidan ***

Lots of great maps here, and a very hard vote. I went with AG because I felt like it managed a high level of detail yet still looked crisp and clear. Also, its color pallet really appealed to me. That said, there were a ton of others that were great, and everyone who finished should be very proud of their work.

AG 7 gets my vote, I liked Coyotemaxs for style and I really mean I liked it. It's one of my favorite looks. It's artistic and well call me a sucker for a person who will research materials to the degree detailed in the posts, but for devotion to the idea definately a winner.

Why then did I go with AG 7, well the thing I think I missed in my map and I see being a problem in CMs is... In an adventure, where the heros run through the streets and back allies, facing opponants and leaping obstacles, which path do they take to get from the bussiness district to cross over one temple grounds and head through the residential district.

Basically they are pretty and they give a good basic feel, but when it comes to functionallity on an in city adventure... not so much.

AG7 just seemed best suited for that style while still giving some sense of clarity of the vision.

Looks like we have a winner... congrats armoredgear7!
    Let me see where we stashed the gold medals...

Lots of great maps, everyone!
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 09-01-2009 at 04:32 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Blog Entries

Well done guys. I think the close run of this poll shows the sustained quality of all the maps this month.

Yep, the quality of the submitted maps was insane. It was very hard to pick a favorite!
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Congrats to AG7!
    Something witty and pithy

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I'm just happy I did as well as I did - the real win for me was doing a new style for the first time and getting good results. It's nice knowing I can run with the big dogs and give them a serious run for their money

Congrats armoredgear!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Gandwarf, I feel like I should make some kind of acceptance speech for the challenge award

Thanks to everybody who voted! Special thanks to all the challenge participants; strong competition brings out the best maps, and I think we're all proud of the maps we've made this month. See you next challenge!
    Unless otherwise noted, all of my posted work is free for use and redistribution under
    the Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 licence.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345