Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forgotten Land

Post Forgotten Land

With this map I introduced GeoControl 2 into my toolbox and though it would make mapping so much easier. I thought that when I get the height map exported to Photoshop it would make mapping so simple and fast. How wrong was I!!
    Ok, GC2 has a mind of its own and definitely something against me and it didn’t do what I wanted it to do. It sure was difficult to create a natural looking mountains, but finally I got it and started creating suitable textures etc. I love details (maybe a bit too much sometimes) and I filled the map with all sorts of smaller and bigger pieces of interest. I wanted this map to be inspiring to viewer’s imagination by not explaining all things out.
    I’m posting here two versions of the same map. The first one is the original and the second one has special lighting effects put on it (like the light coming from the observer tower etc.).

In the north there is the known world and in the south beyond the mountains lie the forgotten land. Something evil lives there and the old gate is guarded by the silent towers. But things are not that black and white and the secrets are known by certain instances with great plans…

-Pasi
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forgotten Land.jpg 
Views:	997 
Size:	2.60 MB 
ID:	16307   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Forgotten Land (with light).jpg 
Views:	336 
Size:	2.51 MB 
ID:	16308  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Very Nice!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

The more I look at this the more I dig it. Especially the little icons, and especially the evilly-grinning face in the southwest corner.

That face scares me. It's looking at us. It's looking into our souls.
    Beautiful work...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Guild Novice

I love it! this is a map I can look at for hours and fantazise about what's happening all the different places and how it would be to go this and there. Exactly what maps are all about to me.

I particularly like the Little rune markers and the font used for 'Forgotten Lands'. and the lakes and falls and rivers and cozy cities and...

Where did you get the icons like 'the monastry' and 'the Invincible' or did you do them yourself?

Very nice work! rep for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas_Adorn View Post
    I love it! this is a map I can look at for hours and fantazise about what's happening all the different places and how it would be to go this and there. Exactly what maps are all about to me.

I particularly like the Little rune markers and the font used for 'Forgotten Lands'. and the lakes and falls and rivers and cozy cities and...

Where did you get the icons like 'the monastry' and 'the Invincible' or did you do them yourself?

Very nice work! rep for you.
    The invincible is modified from a black and white photo of a steel model. I added some details and colors and highlights etc. The monastery is also from a photo (very small part of the full image actually). But I couldn't use the original photo because a real image wouldn't fit the style so I added a new partially transparent layer on top of the original and redraw the cathedral.

Both of these took considerable time to produce, I'm glad you liked them.

This is not really a map, but I though I'd post it anyway as it goes with the story I have behind here. Through this magical sphere, the wizards are trying to see the forgotten land and unleash it's powers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sphere.jpg 
Views:	140 
Size:	893.4 KB 
ID:	16459  

Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Excellent work Pasis, beautifully done.

Are the fonts used for "Forgotten Lands" custom made or did you find them?
    They are amazing.

beautiful. I particularly like the pathways meandering through the forests...and as has been said above I love the various icons and constructed details.

I did find the text difficult to read, but it didn't distract from my enjoyment of the map.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast