Thread: Random CS4 neatness

Post Random CS4 neatness

So I'm following the blog and twitter of one of the pathfinder artists (who I've also commissioned a character sketch) and she posts yesterday that CS4 has a rotate canvas feature...

My first thought was "okay, that's been in earlier photoshops and even gimp for a while now"...

No... because she's not talking about a rotating of the image as a permanent thing she's talking about this...

My D&D/Roleplaying Blog Making a new effort to update every two weeks!
    Gimp Gradient Basics

There's finally enough processing power and memory available for the machine to remember the actions you want to take instead of just baking each action down into one finalized buffer. It opens a whole new realm of possibilities. It also makes some authors of software without those features feel a bit unhappy.

So it really just providing another transform (rotate) in addition to the normal zoom transform when going from the internal buffer to the screen representation.

Not that complicated, but clever!

-Rob A>

Here's hoping for a GIMP 3 implementation...
    Gimp Gradient Basics

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I had read that this could be done with just the tablet, like the newer Intuous ones but since I have an older one I didn't think about it. Supposedly you can lock the canvas to the tablet and as you rotate the tablet, then so moves the canvas.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Admittedly, there are a LOT of things the GIMP team needs to finish before this anyway... We are all just kinda waiting for one of us to win the lottery so we can donate to the GIMP project enough to allow those guys to live of the donations
    Gimp Gradient Basics

However, the rotate canvas feature does require that the OpenGL features be turned on, which causes performance issues for some people and is just darned annoying for others (me). I keep overshooting the spot I want to pan to because the stupid software continues to slide the canvas after I've let go of it.

Anyway, I've found rotating the canvas to be quite helpful, particularly for perspective drawings.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name