Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Aug/Sep Lite Entry - City of Gold

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I like them both as well...maybe try something more toward a compromise of the two - arid/desert at the top but increasingly lush as you reach the 'canyon' floor.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I like them both, but prefer the first one, the desert.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I'm in agreement with the others, they both look good. As for which one to go with, maybe that would be better based on the cultural aspects. The sample image you posted for the look of the buildings suggests something of an Aztec or Mayan nature more so than an Egyptian like nature. That isn't to say that they can't cross over though. That's not even to say that it couldn't be something completely different. Maybe something in the arctic. It's hard to say. In the end, my best suggestion would be to go with your gut instinct.

GW
    GW

One's worth is not measured by stature, alone. By heart and honor is One's true value weighed.

Current Non-challenge WIP : Beyond Sosnasib
    Current Lite Challenge WIP : None
    Current Main Challenge WIP : None
    Completed Maps : Various Challenges

I thought about making it look like a jungle also . But I hope I'll find a good solution in the end. Thanks for the feedback on this one.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

That stair-stepped look is something that I would expect to see in an arid region...being an American it conjures up images of the southwest. Being the oddball that I am, I would like to see you take it someplace completely different than what one would expect. The jungle idea kinda reminds of that King Kong movie so that's the way I would go, but then, I'm weird like that. To really be different, put a bunch of farmland on those steps and call it a giant sinkhole. I do like the green one best, though.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Egypt had step pyramids as well. So in the real world they can be found both in the desert and in the jungle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Step_pyramid
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_of_Djoser
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Are those stepped temples called Zuggurats?
    I think it's Ziggurats...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Well, a Ziggurat is basically a step pyramid

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    Ziggurats (Akkadian (transliterated): ziqqurat, D-stem of zaqāru "to build on a raised area") were massive pyramidal temples built in the ancient Mesopotamian valley and western Iranian plateau, having the form of a terraced step pyramid of successively receding stories or levels. There are 32 ziggurats known at, and near, Mesopotamia. Twenty-eight of them are in Iraq, and four of them are in Iran.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast