Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laramis, Second Attempt

Blog Entries

Post Laramis, Second Attempt

I've been focusing on challenges so much lately that I let this project float away. Rather than resurrect the old thread, I decided that because I had essentially completely restarted the project, I would start a new thread.

This is a project for a friend of mine, Greg, who is one of the better dungeon masters in the group that I've been playing in since 1979. Greg's next campaign will be completely set in Laramis, which is a new world from the one he's run all of his previous campaigns in, which was called Mythgar. We probably played a rough half-dozen campaigns in Mythgar, each lasting about a year.

So Greg put together a map using CC3 and shipped it off to me. I'm including both Greg's original and my current WIP in this, the first post.

I have only spent a couple of days on this version of the map so far, but it went really quickly, and I'm fairly pleased with how it's turned out so far. The reason for posting it here, in this forum, is so that I can get advice and criticism on the map. Tell me what you like, what you don't like, and why, and I will be forever grateful.

Thanks in advance!

###LATEST WIP###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laramis Original.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	528.0 KB 
ID:	16335Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Laramis2.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	3.23 MB 
ID:	16336

What I like:

- Great landmass shape.
    - Nice colors, the landmass green and blue of the sea match really well.
    - Water looks beautiful.
    - Love the marsh and gorge.

What I think needs some work:

- The mountains. Especially the western mountain range looks too scattered. I do very much like their style though!
    - The towns look like ruins to me. Maybe make the dots red or something, to indicate they are roofs (now they look like lots of fallen stones)
    - The roads look like rivers. Or if they aren't roads, but broader rivers, they don't match with the smaller rivers. If they are roads, maybe change the color to brown. Also if they are roads, they are larger (grabbing more attention) than the rivers, which I think is weird.
    - Maybe make the rivers pop out some more.

Give some rep to your buddy Greg. I like his CC3 map. I really like your map too, but you wanted criticism, so you got it
    I am happy you corrected Greg's river mistakes by the way The rivers near the large lake in the middle seem to be splitting, though?

Oh, a question: why did you vary the colors for the forests? You seem to have several shades of green you use?

And please promise me you are going to add some farmland to the area near the mayor cities...
    Last edited by Gandwarf; 08-29-2009 at 05:03 PM.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like the ocean and the waves (maybe blur those .5), the cities, the river valleys, and the land color.

I'm not keen on using multi-colored noise for a pattern overlay because the reds and pinks mess up the green...I'd suggest using a grayscale noise or pattern. The mountains look kinda tiny and dark, they need to be more impressive and bigger. Forests and swamps need some work but since I struggle with those myself I don't really have any advice other than you seem to be on the right road...just keep messin around with them. Knowing your past work I am sure that you'll get these things looking good.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm going through and evaluating each and making adjustments as I go.

Ascension: where are you picking up multi-color noise? To my knowledge, I've used only monochrome gaussian, as a part of the process of building up the forest and the swamp. Is it the grass? I snagged that from somewhere some time ago. If that's the issue then I can redo.

As for the mountains, I was trying to go along with the spirit of the original. I know the map has too-few mountains, but I didn't want to reinvent it for him. I can bulk up the ones that are already there of course. I'll give that some thought as the process is pretty painstaking.

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	86 
Size:	3.15 MB 
ID:	16341

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If you're using a pattern for the land then it could be on the pattern then. I'm seeing something like colored noise or color halftone. Oh well.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Blog Entries

Okay, things are starting to fall into place. The new base land pattern makes all of the difference. I did beef up the mountains a bit but I'm resistant to actually making them cover more area than they do.

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	103 
Size:	4.03 MB 
ID:	16348

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yeah, that's more or less what I meant.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

I went off on a journey of discovery and found that the "secret" method I'd found for creating mountains wasn't really all that secret, but a number of folks had taken it a great deal further than I had. I think the results are more interesting, but I also sense that there are extensive opportunities for refinement to the approach.

Suggestions?

###LATEST WIP###

Views:	78 
Size:	3.81 MB 
ID:	16372

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

These are better, but I think they are to 'green'. Unless of course they are completely forest covered.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Nope I'm just colorblind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast