Thread: Two fantasy map [Syralia + Elysee]

Map Two fantasy map [Syralia + Elysee]

Here is a sample of my work. both are fantasy map with scroll background.

---For the first one : The Elysee World---Made with : drawing & Photoshop CS3

It's a map just or fun. I mean : I never use this map yet, and I may not use it. I'm particularly proud of the torn effect on the scroll. I needed arround ten layers to obtained such an effect. (damn "flatten image" option ! )

To make this map : I first draw some icons for mountains, cities and other stuffs. Whatever my mind was thinking about is good to take for the map. In fact I belived I finished this step too fast so I had to made som icons by computer.

Then I realize the basic scroll background. I edit a brush to put dynamics on it. I activate : Roundness, Hue, Opacity, and Scratting dynamics. Then I use Cloud + Fiber filter in an overlay layer to have some texture. Finaly I add an exposure adjustmant layer.

For the coast I just add a outer glow effect to the "continent" layer. This "continent" layer is just a grey layer without any texture. But I wanna add an other outer glow effect which I already use. So I use a tip. I copy my "continent" layer but in white and I chose multiply. Then I put the outer glow effect I want. So the "continent copy" layer is not visible but his outer glow effect is visible. (I don't know how explain whithout repeating fourth "outer glow effect". Sorry for my porr english language.)

Finaly I add shining colors in an overlay layer and put some icons in color burn layers. Then I had text and some sroll details such as the torn effect. The torn/Burned effect is made with one black layer with black multiply outer glow effect and some fiber overlay layer with mask. and a ton of adjustment layer with masks.

---For the second one : The Syralia World--- Made with an old huge drawing of the map & Photoshop CS3

This map is more clear. In fact I design it to place tokens when my player are doing a long trip arround Syralia World. They will never lost their way again. It's my campaign world for now. So I put no flashy effect that burn eyes and make people blind. Gosh, I'm pleased with my player for now... Until they meet an hydra or something else I suppose.

This one is not as complex. I first scan my old map : I had aproximatly 8 A4 pages to scan... Gosh... I was exhausted and took some rest.

Then when I put all the A4 together I face a problem. They didn't match exactly. The problem is when I scan the map I rotate the paper a little. (For my defense I must say that huge paper is not easy to manipulate in a small scanner.) So I had to rotate in the other direction A4 by A4. I use a level adjustmant layer with a mask to lighten the contours of the A4. I simply paint the mask little by little with a white brush.

Next step is realizing the scroll background. I use a similar way to the first map. However I rotate on fiber layer to have cross fiber texture, and I had a grain multiply layer with some blur filter.

Then I redraw with my computer all the coast and the river with a white brush. I had some blending effect to render the wave who attacked the coast. In fact I edith the outer glow effect to have a black line then greys ones and a finaly totaly white one.

Finaly I put some colours in a soft light layer, some texts in overlay layers and some scroll details in overlays layers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MapElysee.jpg 
Views:	391 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	16342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Syralia.jpg 
Views:	7568 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	16343  
    Last edited by Balalaika; 08-29-2009 at 09:19 PM.
    What amount of wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck Would chuck wood ?

Have some reputation for posting those maps. As I already stated in your album, I really like them. The second one I like even better than the first one.
    They are crowded with stuff though, so much it's hard to see and enjoy the details. Still, the crowding has its charm. It gives the maps a very unique style.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

I also like the second one better, though both are nice.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The first one looks like it is on fire...so I kind of like that. The second one could use the lines coming from the compass to cut off at the land (I always forget what those lines are called...rhumb lines?). At any rate, it really nails an antique look so good job.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

The second map is just gorgeous. I agree, there is a lot, but it has an appeal. Like it's a "well informed map" or something.

The first is a bit painful to look at due to the colors; they're just too intense. It looks like you dodged and burned it to death.

Blog Entries

I kinda like that intense strong colours. Theres maps here by 'Red Epic' which have similar style to these and they are very popular too. Very nice work.

I have to mimic some of the others, it's very busy and hard to see the actual map. Though, of the two I like the first as it gives off a kind of 'map discarded into fire' (perhaps to serve as a symbol for a warring continent) feeling which gives it character!

Post Reputation

I am new to the forum, so can someone tell me what is the reputation points everyone has below the name?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Rep is for doing something cool. If you do something nice I give you Reputation points. The more you have the more others like what what you do. It's sort of like working your way up to become the field marshal from starting as a private. If you see something from someone else you can give them Rep points as well. The more Rep points you have the more you can give out. It is all explained here.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps