Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Building a World (once the Terrain is done)

Guild Apprentice Revivalofhonor's Avatar

Post Building a World (once the Terrain is done)

Alrighty, So i just created this map in about... o.. 4 hours, the terrain isn't the most in depth i've done before, but i like the way it turned out. if any one has any suggestions in regard to the terrain please let me know! The big thing about this thread is that i will be posting updates as i add countries, cities, towns, etc to the map and what steps/guidelines i generally use to create what i consider, believable worlds.

So as I go, speak up, let me have suggestions or comments! they' all be greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Known-World-2.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	89.5 KB 
ID:	525  

I'll start by saying neat idea! Suggestion, and only a suggestion: Turn it 90 degrees so that it better fits a typical map layout. I would say clockwise and then the continent on the left would become an arctic area.

Have you worked up the sea currents yet? That will go a looooong way toward weather patterns and shipping routes.
    Bill Stickers is innocent! It isn't Bill's fault that he was hanging out in the wrong place.

Please make an effort to tag all threads. This will greatly enhance the usability of the forums.

Wonderful mapping style and color scheme. Looking forward to seeing how this evolves.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

Guild Apprentice Facebook Connected

I dislike how bold the color of the lakes is compared with the color of the oceans. I would either make them a closer color or the same color altogether. They just stand out a bit too much to me.

Why'd you make the resolution so much smaller here? It's what, 1/10th the size of the actual picture you work with? Just curious.

RPMiller makes a great point. Try and figure out some of the weather patterns, like currents and hurricane spots and, I would recommend, any plate tectonics you can. Unless they're Japanese, people won't be living in high-earthquake and high-volcanic activity areas. That island up to the north that's largely mountainous, for example, would likely not have any huge cities in it. Small mining towns and fishing villages I think would actually be in abundance, but there will be no agriculture and the terrain should be unstable, which would make the land one where people would not group together in large cities.

Hey guys thanks a bunch for the replies, I'm currently working on the overall weather patterns, currents, etc and will hopefully get them posted up later today. As for the size of the image, i posted because it is such a large file. currently running at 24" x 36" and 200 pixels per inch. haha I get a loading bar when trying to save , I'll try and get a larger image up though

Heres a link to an offsite larger image of the map for the moment, with rotated world.

http://homepage.mac.com/alexwhisenhu...rld-2large.jpg

Looks much better at the large size.

I agree with the comment about the lake color. I didn't notice it at first, but now I find it jarring.
    Looking for battlemap creation software that can be used to create gorgeous print-resolution output on Windows or Mac OS?
    Give MapForge a try.

I definitely like the larger version a lot better.
    Just another RATMAN ASSASSIN.
    If orangutans could type...

Alright, I've known from the beginning that this world was going to be a warmer/tropical world for the most part. Meaning that there will be no north/south pole ice caps, etc. Because of the Continents shape, 3 major currents have developed over time, interacting with each other to bring a good amount of rainfall to all except the Western section of the North Continent.

Red/Blue are somewhat warm/cold currents indicators, although with the average temperature world wide in the 70-80's most of the year(maybe dropping to 70's in the north/south), the difference is not extreme.

Ocean Currents Reference
    http://www.abc.net.au/hobart/stories/m923182.gif

**Edit** oh and this also reflects the lake color changes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KnownWorldCurrents.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	156.0 KB 
ID:	526  
    Last edited by Revivalofhonor; 07-15-2007 at 07:03 PM.

Historically speaking, most nation's borders followed some sort of natural landmark. This made it not only easier to define what land was yours and what land was your neighbors, but also gave some forms of natural defense (if in the case of a forest or mountain) or source of trade (if in the case of a river, lake or ocean).

Nations in more inhospitable areas, also tended to be larger, take Russia and China, both with well over 50% of their land being areas few people would care to live in. This area also tends to be area that other nations would not overly be eying and going "Oh yeah! i want that desert!" and thus not generally fought over.

Most nations will tend to be in contact with one form of water, whether it be a river, lake or ocean, both for irrigation and drinking supplies, but mostly for trade. These areas of land connecting important water ways are very valuable and unless a country is well settled there, generally a place of conflict.

In medieval times "grey areas" or undisputed territory was not uncommon in Mountainous areas, deep deserts, tundra or other areas that could not feasibly be defended/patrolled (despite some countries "claiming" it's theirs)

Nations that control key trading locations do not necessarily have to be big, as they can be dependent on other countries for goods, and not have to produce any themselves.

While most nations will follow these guidelines, there is always exceptions, depending on the size of the landmass, many countries may become landlocked. These countries will generally come to rely on one or more surrounding countries as a a source of trade, unless the country is completely self sufficient (a rarity) without some sort of partnership between countries it will begin to crumble economically. On the world that i am creating, one of the things that throws off alot of borders, is the fact that much of the world is covered in forests, this makes it harder to find "natural borders" upon which to put the country borders.

mmmm haha ok i think thats most of the basics for countries at the moment.

The map below shows the borders, with countries lightly shaded to define them a little more, I realized after i exported it that i need to make the borders of the countries a little more transparent so you can see the rivers that they run on, I may actually remove the borders along rivers altogether in a future render if I can get it to were the countries are still recognizable.

the countries are still subject to change at this moment, but here's what i've got

http://homepage.mac.com/alexwhisenhu...dCountries.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast