Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: need help from the river police

Your nick is too large by the way and messing up the layout of the forum. Can we shorten it?
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Seeing as there are at least 2 fault lines in the area, i don't think it's unreasonable to have a ridge of upthrust granite in the middle of all the nicely topsoiled farmland

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by piraterobotninjaofdeath View Post
    (...) The city would have initially been two cities, one built on the bank of each river and connected by roads, that have since grown together and become a single entity.
    What popped into my mind when I saw this concept was a town on the bank of one river, with a kind of satelite village / industrial outpost on the bank of the other, which over time grew together into one city. This would probably divide the city into a richer half (the former main town) and a poorer half (the former outpost) surrounding the river-based industry, and could more easily guide placement of city elements if you aim to have a city map as well. Could work just as easily with two cities, of course, by the asynchronicity of town + outpost appealed to me when it popped up in my mind.
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

I think it more likely that there'd be a third town (or just a fortress) occupying the high ground between the river-port towns. It would be able to control all the traffic passing between those two, and probably also become militarily dominant due to it's secure location. As it's political influences grows, it'll be able to attract more people to it and become ever larger and more prosperous, untill it eventually links with and absorbs the other two towns.

A city formed in this manner could have an interesting layout. It would probably be long and thin in overall shape, having grown around the road connecting the rivers. It would also have a bulge at the center, one that would be distorted by the shapes of the hills/ridge. The ends that hug the rivers would also be wider, possibly spreading quite a distance along the riverbanks, perhaps even extending across the rivers via bridges.

Oooh, now you have me wanting to do a city map showing the growth of the area

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Ghostman: Ooh, I like! I hadn't even considered a hilltop in between the two and what kind of impact its strategic location would have.

This city map must be made!
    Alas, my website features music, not maps. I do have a portfolio of some other things, though.

Guild Novice

How about a large plateau area where one river is actually much higher up than the other but each side tilts down to the respective seas. the sketch is exaggerated (oh and please don't comment my superb drawing skills ) the the main City would be on the top side with a mining town on the lower side (poor side as was mentioned earlier) and perhaps several dwelling in the cliff side which was accessed by rope and pulley also used for shipping goods between the mines and the village. perhaps the whole lower plateau is poor country, wasteland, workers, farmers, nomads etc. with the higher plateau being inhabited by the upper class, priests, nobles, merchants etc. there you could have your 'GOLDEN' (notice the use of the word GOLD *wink *wink) cities build upon the highest ridge stretching towards the gods, ruled by the priesthood....

ok I'll stop now. just an idea

could be fun to map...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sketch.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	137.1 KB 
ID:	16410  
    Need a name fast or inspiration for one? Click me

I love split-level cities

Very cool idea Lucas...
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

That's actually really neat!

*ponders juggling time between existing projects to make room...*

My finished maps

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast