Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: need help from the river police

Wow loving all the ideas guys

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostman View Post
    I think it more likely that there'd be a third town (or just a fortress) occupying the high ground between the river-port towns. It would be able to control all the traffic passing between those two, and probably also become militarily dominant due to it's secure location. As it's political influences grows, it'll be able to attract more people to it and become ever larger and more prosperous, untill it eventually links with and absorbs the other two towns.

A city formed in this manner could have an interesting layout. It would probably be long and thin in overall shape, having grown around the road connecting the rivers. It would also have a bulge at the center, one that would be distorted by the shapes of the hills/ridge. The ends that hug the rivers would also be wider, possibly spreading quite a distance along the riverbanks, perhaps even extending across the rivers via bridges.
    This is a cool sounding idea. The fortress would work as becoming the eventual seat for the Emperor, as this city is to be the capital of a Roman-themed Empire. The city's name could mean "the twins" in the old language, referring to both the twin rivers as well as the twin cities it formed into.

The city would have initially been long, with walls built out from the central castle to protect the road link between the two river settlements, as well as protecting the harbours from incursions over land. As the cities grow together, markets would have slowly consolidated to closer to the imperial palace, as would the bulk of the settlement.

The walls would form an old city/new city barrier, and noble houses pop up in the old city, with hovels built against the walls transforming into a sprawling town to then get walled in themselves.

Here's what I'm thinking so far, forgive my ridiculously poor artwork (again, trackpad + paint does not an artist make. Shame I'm mid move otherwise i'd bust out PS+wacom tablet and make something more presentable)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caesa 1 (two cities).JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	24.4 KB 
ID:	16414   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caesa 2 (two cities + fortress).JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	33.4 KB 
ID:	16415   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caesa3 (one city).JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	16416   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	caesa4 (Imperial City).JPG 
Views:	37 
Size:	68.7 KB 
ID:	16417  

shoot, meant to add some canals in there, and extend the harbour down the river each way a bit, but i guess you can get the gist from those.

edit: Also just noticed that my nickname got the nerfbat. Taking a bit of time out to have a little cry right now.
    Last edited by Garanth; 08-31-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Gandwarf View Post
    Very cool idea Lucas...
    thanks.

might give it a try once I get better. hmm that would probably need to be drawn from several angles to do it justice. (future project noted down)
    Need a name fast or inspiration for one? Click me

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Sounds like a great challenge idea
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123