Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The City of Memfis

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Post The City of Memfis

A prototype version of the Trade City of Memfis, a post-apocalyptic version of Memphis, TN. This is the first city map I've done in years, but I'm fairly happy with it. This is one of the locales for a collaborative world-building project I'm involved in at another site.

(The Key is purposefully separate; once we've fleshed out the city a bit more, I'll redesign the map to incorporate the key.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CityofMemfis.jpg 
Views:	366 
Size:	683.6 KB 
ID:	16293   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MemfisKey.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	16294  

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Nifty. i love how you did the fields.. the forests look great (how did you get those?) and the Chain is very ominous

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Thanks! It was all pretty basic, simple PS stuff; nothing really fancy. The forests are just a wet watercolor-type brush overlaid with a pattern that someone on this very forum posted (and of course now I don't remember who it was...), and with a drop-shadow added in to give them a bit of depth.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Sometimes basic and simple is all you need - get the feeling across and let the viewer's imagination do the rest

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I definitely enjoyed the map, and I think its a nicely done little piece. Like the coyote, I particularly enjoyed the chain, which looks pretty wicked.

As a former Memphian, I would have liked to have seen a few more names that I recognize, although the ruined bridge and the neighboring towns were nice touches. Maybe some of the major streets might have kept their names? Poplar, Union, Cooper, Mendenhal/Mt. Moriah (actually, mt. moriah is particularly good for an apocolyptic town in the bible belt). Also, maybe put in some ruins of that ridiculous metal pyramid that squats north of the bridge--it is today the biggest pyramid in the world afterall. Also, was stone island a play on mud island?

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Nice little map...

Just a suggestion to consider; for your trees you might try using a low opacity/flow airbrush with the pattern you used, it may help to eliminate the solid, flat areas of green.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    Nice little map...

Just a suggestion to consider; for your trees you might try using a low opacity/flow airbrush with the pattern you used, it may help to eliminate the solid, flat areas of green.
    Really? I kinda like the way they look...

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Really? I kinda like the way they look...
    If you like them, then by all means leave them as is.

Wasn't suggesting you change them, was just giving you another option to try if you wanted.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General View Post
    If you like them, then by all means leave them as is.

Wasn't suggesting you change them, was just giving you another option to try if you wanted.
    I'm going to be starting another continental map, and I'll definitely try it there; on a larger scale I think that suggestion will look great.

Quote Originally Posted by msa View Post
    As a former Memphian, I would have liked to have seen a few more names that I recognize, although the ruined bridge and the neighboring towns were nice touches. Maybe some of the major streets might have kept their names? Poplar, Union, Cooper, Mendenhal/Mt. Moriah (actually, mt. moriah is particularly good for an apocolyptic town in the bible belt). Also, maybe put in some ruins of that ridiculous metal pyramid that squats north of the bridge--it is today the biggest pyramid in the world afterall. Also, was stone island a play on mud island?
    Most of it is left deliberately 'uncharted', so the other people involved in the project can add stuff in at their leisure, like street names, ruins, etc. Although, this is set 400 years after the collapse of modern society, so there may not be much left of our civilization that hasn't either been scavenged for newer buildings, or simply rotted away...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast