Thread: Fantasy map [Realistic style] Syralia

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Map Fantasy map [Realistic style] Syralia

---Syralia map in atlas style : Made with : Photoshop CS3---

This is just another map of Syralia. However this one was done in a realistic way. It is my first map enirely made by computer. Wich is for me a big deal.Bbecause I started enjoying design with a pen in my hand. Seriously, when I was a child, I drew a lot. My parents seen that I had a vision problem because I was almost on my paper sheet. If I didn't draw I would probably not be allowed to drive a car now... Damn I love my huge glasses !

As far as the map is concerned : it was done by fallowing the tutorial "Rising up the mountains" form Pasis.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=4405

I just had some personnal touch and skip steps.

Have a visit here to see the scroll version : http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=6894

Hope you enjoy it

[Edith : Damn I'm just seeing an error on the map. I forget to place the mountain between "Mont Malark" and "Bois Putride" ! So I uploaded a new one.]
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SyraliaReel.jpg 
Views:	20343 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	16371  
    Last edited by Balalaika; 08-30-2009 at 07:29 PM.
    What amount of wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck Would chuck wood ?

Nice. As I said in another thread, we love Pasis his style and you can't go wrong with it.
    My only nitpick is that the map is quite crowded with labels and they distract from the land features itself. You might want to resize some of the labels.
    Check out my City Designer 3 tutorials. See my fantasy (city) maps in this thread.

Gandwarf has fallen into shadow...

I personally don't mind the labels, but I would like to have an additional label free version of the map just so I can get a better look at the work you did.

Blog Entries

Yeah I think I second that. Its not that the labels are bad its just very label heavy. Maybe make the labels more transparent or smaller and the map terrain would show through more.

Also, nothing wrong with them, but Old English / Gothic fonts are not easy to read.

Quote Originally Posted by ainsmar View Post
    [...] I would like to have an additional label free version of the map [...]
    So here it is.
    See atachment.

Quote Originally Posted by Ashenvale View Post
    I'm curious about the water near the sourthern coast. Are we seeing rocks through the shallows, as in a sunken land? If so, that's most impressive!
    Yes the grey area at the south is a sunken land. Like a huge swamp. As far as the fantasy is concern it is the land of the orc's clans. In this world the orcs and some elfes was the owners of the world until a major uprising. You find grey orcs (very athletics ones, they climb like monkey and run as fast as well trained horses), draugh (they have a shell all over the body), and common orcs (frenzy ones) here. You can also find forgetten castles and hydras hiding under poisened clouds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SyraliaReelGeo.jpg 
Views:	3066 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	16559  
    Last edited by Balalaika; 09-05-2009 at 08:46 AM.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Not bad at all!

Deviating from tutorials is perfectly acceptable. they're great launching points (especially the tutorials on this site!) and leave a lot open for interpretations and personal style to develop.

Excellent first computer-created map - I can't wait to see more of your work!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Sweet! Fabulous for a first computer map.

I'm curious about the water near the sourthern coast. Are we seeing rocks through the shallows, as in a sunken land? If so, that's most impressive!
    We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
    -George Bernard Shaw

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Coming along nicely...one question though - why such a dark green for the rivers? Not that there is anything wrong, just curious.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel General [...
    why such a dark green for the rivers? [...]
    I dunno... Maybe I'd been inspired by monkey island grog...
    Seriously : I realy don't know, it looked good so I kept that color.